Author Topic: Carpet Knife questions  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
Carpet Knife questions
« on: October 06, 2005, 03:27:58 PM »
I took my diff apart and its as dry as a bone.  Am I suppose to use diff lube on it?  If so can I use my Associated Stealth Diff lube?

Also it looks like the spur gear is a little wobbly from side to side.  Is this normal or is something set up wrong?

Is there a reason for using the 64 pitch gears instead of the 48?  I'm assuming since the drive ratio is much smaller it gives you more adjustabilty in your final drive ratio?  I know 64 is smoother but is it a performance advantage?
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Carpet Knife questions
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
well for the lube im sure its probably ok...........i use it yes the spur will wiggle side to side a little  and well  i still use  48 pitch might goto  64 just for the  less friction more speed atleast thatrs what i figure

Offline WhoDoYouThink

• Forum Veteran
Carpet Knife questions
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2005, 03:46:05 PM »
Yeah, it should have some lube dude!
 The Associated stealth lube will work fine.
 Push out the diff- balls, clean the gear, the diff rings and the diff-balls with motor spray,  examine them for pitting or deep grooves, and then if everything is in good shape put a dab of diff lube in each hole that you have a ball for.... and re-assemble. When the diff is right, you should just be able to spin the spur gear while holding the rear wheels, but final adjustment must be made after testing the car's launch on the track.

Don't worry about the wobble, they all do that. :-) really!

As far as the 64 pitch, yeah, you can run a closer gear set(ratio wise I mean) and like you pointed out, it is smoother, and possibly(though I've never weighed them) lighter.

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
Carpet Knife questions
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2005, 03:49:36 PM »
It is normal to use a small amount of diff lube on a 1/12 scale diff.  However, unlike a sealed diff like you would find in a TC3, you don't want to use very much diff lube.  Lots of lube will just attract grime.

Having the spur gear wobble is perfectly fine.  This is because the diff balls are bigger than the width of the spur gear, otherwise there would be no diff action.  When the gear is driven, it will run true.

The primary reason for using 64 pitch gears is, as you suspect, finer adjustments in your final drive ratio.  This is important in 1/12 scale for many reasons.  One is that the races are much longer, another is that the final drive ratio is much lower than other classes.  Any claims to a performance advantage are so miniscule, believers that it matters are mis-informed.

Offline serpent

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Regular
Carpet Knife questions
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2005, 10:22:04 PM »
run 64 pitch and cut every other tooth,little speed secret....... :lol: [got nitro]