Author Topic: summer racing agenda  (Read 10499 times)

summer racing agenda
« on: March 10, 2006, 02:04:23 PM »
i was reading this agenda........and noticed we are required to pay another 20$ membership fee..............my question is i know in past seasons i have been involved in when we pay are membership fee at begining of 12 scale it was a one year fee and i very well could be wrong here but i thought it was stated  at the 12 scale meeting last year that it was again a one year membership fee................ i tried to look up the minutes from that meeting to see if i was mistaken but they are not to be found.......

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
summer racing agenda
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2006, 02:25:34 PM »
The minutes are still available; you'll just have to look harder for them.  Try here: http://irocc.ca/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=128

The reason behind the additional membership fee is that the two seasons are entirely different in some fundamental ways.

The 1/12 scale membership includes a handout motor that you must run in your 1/12 scale car.  Many people who only run during the summer would object to having to pay to get a motor that they don't want to use during the summer (regardless of how good the 1/12 scale motors are).  Furthermore, people who start running in the summer are not going to be entitled to a free motor come 1/12 scale season if they haven't paid enough for it.

The fact that we run two distinct seasons with different groups of guys (many, but definately not all of which do both) means that a single, higher priced membership causes many administrative difficulties, as well as a bias towards certain racers.  The better solution is to have seperate, moderately priced memberships for each season.

The additionaly money the club recieves through memberships will help us make the next few large purchaes that we need to continue our strong growth and excellent racing program.  I expect that what you say is true about the past membership; if this is a problem than we will have to work out some sort of compramise.  Personally, I feel the approach outlined in the current agenda will be more beneficial to the club and membership than a combined approach for the different seasons.

As I mentioned above, if this is a problem for people, we'll have to work some new scheme out, since I believe Doug has interpreted the intention of the 1/12 scale kickoff meeting correctly.

summer racing agenda
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2006, 02:40:00 PM »
its not really a problem but over the last couple years things just keep changing like one year you get a shirt  and then you dont then one year your memebership is for a year then next minute its not............... it would just really be nice to set something up that sticks around so it isnt so confusing and different every time the season changes.........really 20 bucks isnt anything and i dont mind as the club has grown in size and strength with a pretty kick ass set up in winter and summer things just seem to keep getting better wich is awsome.........but again just to get something set up wich stays the same to keep things simple and expectable......

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
summer racing agenda
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2006, 02:50:54 PM »
I agree with you completely, which is why I think we're much better off having a seperate membership for each season.  Trying to combine it only creates problems, as I'm sure you can see if you think about the handout motor situation, the tee-shirt situation, etc.

Handled seperately, this removes all those headaches and more.

summer racing agenda
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2006, 03:09:50 PM »
agreed there should be 2 seperate membership fees..........i guess this will be another topic at the meeting..... 8O

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
summer racing agenda
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 03:24:17 PM »
IIRC our winter fee was $50 which included a $35 club motor and I don't think we paid for the first day of racing either which was $15 - that means there wasn't any fee for winter racing....
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline haddow

• ayatollah of rock and rolla
  • Forum Veteran
    • Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
summer racing agenda
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 04:09:28 PM »
50 bucks for a motor that would cost 50 at a hobby shop. so really buy a motor get a free membership. In the summer we had a 20 dollar fee or something and got a 20 dollar shirt. Free memberships!

I too would rather see a fee twice a year that didnt include anything. Need a shirt? buy one. Need some traction wash? buy some. Need a club motor? buy one. Like Tom said this would keep it simple and manageable especially since some poeple only race one season or the other.
Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
https://www.facebook.com/drspeeddesigns/

summer racing agenda
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:43:24 PM »
hmmmmm as said before i agree there should be 2  membership fees but i do not recall paying a membership fee for summer racing before!...as for  getting something with the fee .........thats another story i do belevie we should get something  mabye atleast a card....after all our race fees  should be covering most of the clubs cost as summer fees have doubled and tripled in some cases and especially for summer racing there is next to no cost for the lot as im sure a permit isnt much and other than some boards there has been no improvments, winter on the other hand cost alot more to run so a membership fee...without motor or ect... is expectable and really this club i think has jumped into some things a little too quickly such as our last trailer we bought now we are talking about buying another one well mabye we should have thought a little more on that idea before we got it and we could have got a bigger one right away instead of having to buy a second one... as the little one is no good for winter and can barly hold our summer stuff and wouldnt be able to if we aquire more stuff for summer.................well it lokks like this meeting will be interesting to say the least

Offline haddow

• Forum Veteran
summer racing agenda
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:56:57 PM »
that is the longest sentence (actually I think you have two sentences there) I have ever seen.

I remember getting a shirt in the summer that came with a fee. Of course a card would be included I dont think there should be anything else.

The summer may be cheap overhead but that is when we bank some money to buy a trailer, timing systems, new carpet for next season etc etc etc etc. People seem to forget things COST, banking money is not a bad thing although most people in the club seem to think it is a bad thing. If those same people ran the club we would have NOTHING!!!!!

how can you say the cost for racing in the summer has tripled?

We ask almost nothing from the members in the way of cash outlay in this club (your RC racing gear aside) and yet we have all sorts of cool equipment and a professional track every week. I mean 10 bucks to race two classes (or a mere 5 bucks for one class) for 9 hours of fun on a sunday, there is nothing you can do except maybe sleep that costs less.

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
summer racing agenda
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 06:43:49 PM »
Quote from: "mrdoug"
hmmmmm as said before i agree there should be 2  membership fees but i do not recall paying a membership fee for summer racing before!...as for  getting something with the fee .........thats another story i do belevie we should get something  mabye atleast a card....after all our race fees  should be covering most of the clubs cost as summer fees have doubled and tripled in some cases and especially for summer racing there is next to no cost for the lot as im sure a permit isnt much and other than some boards there has been no improvments, winter on the other hand cost alot more to run so a membership fee...without motor or ect... is expectable and really this club i think has jumped into some things a little too quickly such as our last trailer we bought now we are talking about buying another one well mabye we should have thought a little more on that idea before we got it and we could have got a bigger one right away instead of having to buy a second one... as the little one is no good for winter and can barly hold our summer stuff and wouldnt be able to if we aquire more stuff for summer.................well it lokks like this meeting will be interesting to say the least

I think you may have a virus on your computer that is causing the periods to bunch up and remove all the capitals from the begining of your sentances.  You do realize that the "Shift" key doesn't type SHIFT when you press it right?

All razing aside... there is a lot of gear that is used for the track and needs to be replaced, etc.  You're right - we don't pay for the parking lot but we did pay for the boards, hardware, lap counter, PA system, sprayer for the syrup, awning, etc, etc, etc.  Money isn't thrown around willy nilly with the club and like Jody said there is nothing wrong planing ahead to pay for things like a new carpet for next season, etc.  The Easter Bunny doesn't just drop this stuff off for us...

Good point though about making the club fees more consistant.  I think we should keep them seperate between the seasons though.  I thought the shirt and the motor was kind of a perk when it was joined with the fee....
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

summer racing agenda
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 06:44:19 PM »
well when i started 3 years ago it was 5 bucks for a race day for both electric and nitro now its 5 per class so that will be 15 for some on top of 20 bucks.................so actually its more than triple,but dont get me wrong!!!! i do beleive we should pay a membership fee, i just would like something to be inplace that doesnt change everytime the club wants to buy something(sometimes for the second time)or (a clock that we dont even use).........just make something official and leave it in place so everytime a season starts its the same as the season before!

summer racing agenda
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 06:50:41 PM »
and you also have to take into consideration some people who dont run 12 scale  would actually be paying for the rest of us to run it when you talk like that for them it doesnt sound all the fair........as if i didnt run 12 scale id  be pissed to find out i pay a member ship fee for carpet i dont even race on!................boards  ......lol if the club asked the right people those boards wouldnt cost a thing and the sprayer we spray the track with....i think i seen one for 5 bucks at a garage sale so what does that have to do with it everything the club uses outdoors is already paid for with mabye the exception of the syrup we spray down which again if you asked the right people im sure we would pay nothing,.............,,,,,,,,,,,,............. you put them where you want if you need them

Offline haddow

• Forum Veteran
summer racing agenda
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 07:00:08 PM »
I am not talking sprayers and syrup. I am talking trailers, sound systems scoring systems (of which we have had two since I have been there)

Asking someone for 10 bucks to race outdoors is not absurd, If you look at that as paying for indoor stuff that some people wont use..... ???

The mind boggles.

Offline haddow

• Forum Veteran
summer racing agenda
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 07:03:03 PM »
Oh and I still think your math for saying the price has trippled is a little too creative. Counting the membership fee is crazy. Also setting one fee for the rest of time is also crazy. Nothing works like that

We could jsut ask everyone in the club to ante up 250 bucks everytime we need something expensive, maybe that would go over better.

summer racing agenda
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2006, 07:12:59 PM »
whatever...............i dont even no what were talkin about anymore.......this whole thread started because the club stated our last membership fee was for a year and that year isnt up yet and they want another fee.....................i have no problem payin a fee........and if it will make the DR. happy ill agree that the 15 ill pay this year to race isnt triple the 5 i paid when i started ,ok you got it