Author Topic: Minimum weight.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
Minimum weight.
« on: May 30, 2014, 12:09:34 AM »
Now that we have a spec tire and a limit to 2 sets a season shouldn't we enforce the minimum weight rule? A lighter car will ge better tire wear compaired to a heavier car, any thoughts?

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Minimum weight.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 05:18:31 PM »
Hey Neil,

From my experience, there is not a lot to be gained by getting under the minimum weight (1380g).  Plus, it's hard to get much below 1350g without turning your car into Swiss cheese.  A 30g advantage is a very small percentage of the entire car's weight....  Plus, teching it all the time is a pain.

PS.  I weighed my car last night.  It's 1480g.

Blake

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2014, 10:24:08 AM »

1480g! Wow!   At least I know I am in good company.. My cars are lead sleds when it comes to weight.

But as for teching, and rule enforcement.... Its club racing,  anyone who is racing in the club should try to do their best to ensure there car conforms to the rules.  When looking at the club members who are making it to our normal meetings, I don't think there is a single racer that is trying to underhand anyone else by bending the rules, or even using some magical gray area.  So regular tech inspections are just not needed for club racing, however, the equipment to tech should be available for the racers to check their own cars (esp at the beginning of the year when we have new kit.)

Cheers,
Shawn.

Offline gotnitro

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2014, 11:35:49 AM »
I just looked at my cars weight and with out body pins I am at 1380g and depending on the tires I put that weight will go up or down but normally up. ;D

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2014, 02:17:31 PM »
1480g! Wow!   At least I know I am in good company.. My cars are lead sleds when it comes to weight.

Heh, yeah, I was a bit surprised.  I am normally heavy since I usually use longer wiring than needed, and I don't shorten radio leads etc....  Also, Orca batteries are quite heavy.  But 1480 was a shock.  I guess this chassis is a bit on the heavy side.

But as for teching, and rule enforcement.... Its club racing,  anyone who is racing in the club should try to do their best to ensure there car conforms to the rules.  When looking at the club members who are making it to our normal meetings, I don't think there is a single racer that is trying to underhand anyone else by bending the rules, or even using some magical gray area.  So regular tech inspections are just not needed for club racing, however, the equipment to tech should be available for the racers to check their own cars (esp at the beginning of the year when we have new kit.)

Well said!

Blake

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 03:29:46 PM »
im sure the club could benefit from a basic scale though i doubt we could practically run tech with the number of people we have showing up. In my experience, the gentlemens rules seem to work just fine. you guys have all been doing this much longer than i have and know whats expected.

on the note of weight though, gerry i had definitely noticed that serpent to be quite light heh. i think mine was 1228 without body and a 5600pack. i had to add some weight to get it in line and i usually put quite a heavy paint job on my cars.

I haven't weighed my R1's yet, but i know my s1 was a pig like blakes. ive since upgraded to 7200mah packs and wouldn't be at all suprised if i was pushing 1500. id be curious to compare my r1 prospec to my r1/s1 mix with fiberglass chassis to blakes s2 undoubtedly running all the top end stuff heh.

Offline gotnitro

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 06:55:31 PM »
I think I added about 28 g of weight to the chassis to get it up to 1380g. And I don't think a 1000$dollar car is classified ass top of the line More a high class soon to be shelf racer. Lol

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
heh... touring car = my mx3... just remember that lol... we couldn't offload it for $500 with brand spankin new tires.. now than im tackling the valve stem seal job and headgasket, i know why lol. id pay someone like craig $2k easily to do this job.. ill prob never get rid of it now.

ill be glad to see the cheaper cars in hit the track this year. it will promote a lower entry point for racing with us which i think is pretty desperately needed. cant even count how many times people come out asking the cost and when someone tells em like $1200.. i just wanna smack em lol.

I think the rental car, with all roar approved everything came in around $500 maybe a little more. brand new. no used stuff. blake seemed fast enough with it last weekend. id rather doubt he is running the $50 electronics in his personal s2 but even so it will still show off a $120 car quite well..
tom as well actually and craig if he ever builds it ;) craig still stomping us with that 2009 xray he probably never works on.

the spec tires will make things nice. cheap for one.. and we know what kind of grip to expect from everyone. should be some tight racing this year.

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 08:28:25 PM »
Well with my T4 2013 I just installed a chassis protector and a motor fan so I was able to take off two 7g weights, now I have 42g of led and weight in at 1386g. Granted my body from my T1FK04 has been hacked up to cleer the wheels so when I paint a new body I expect to loose some more weight.

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!