Author Topic: Beginner asking for some advice for his dad  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Extimine

Beginner asking for some advice for his dad
« on: December 18, 2019, 04:10:28 PM »
Hello! I am completely new to the RC car scene and would love to get into it with my pops. I was thinking of getting together some parts for him for Christmas so that we have a project to work on together. My issue is that I dont know anything about RC cars yet and I dont know what is compatible with what! As well as that, I have no idea where the best place is to find any of these parts. Any advice you can give is much appreciated.  Thanks a tonne!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Beginner asking for some advice for his dad
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 07:36:01 PM »
Hello! I am completely new to the RC car scene and would love to get into it with my pops. I was thinking of getting together some parts for him for Christmas so that we have a project to work on together. My issue is that I dont know anything about RC cars yet and I dont know what is compatible with what! As well as that, I have no idea where the best place is to find any of these parts. Any advice you can give is much appreciated.  Thanks a tonne!

Hi there,

RC cars are a great hobby for all ages, and you'll often see families racing together at the track.  There is quite a bit to it, so you'll 100% want to check out some local club racing for both the onroad club (IROCC), and the offroad club (COR Victoria).  This will give you a much better idea of what the cars are like and how they work.  It will also give you an idea about the racing/sport aspect of the hobby.  Both clubs are full of friendly people that can give you a lot of information and advice if you decide to move forward with it.

IROCC just recently started racing at a new venue in Langford on Wednesday nights. Due to Christmas, we're not exactly sure when our next race date will be there, but we'll make an announcement on this site as soon as we have more information.  We are also holding a large two day event on January 11-12 2020 at the Mary Winspear Centre in Sidney.  That would be another good opportunity to come out and talk to the local crew, check out some cars, and watch some racing.

IROCC has a Facebook group here as well: https://www.facebook.com/groups/www.irocc.ca/

This Youtube link lists a few video of what IROCC's racing program looks like: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=irocc+speedweekend

Try these Google searches.  IROCC races both of these types of cars:
"1/10 touring car"
"1/12 pan car"

For offroad R/C cars, COR Victoria has a Facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/400259563685864/

Hope to see you at the track soon!
Blake

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Beginner asking for some advice for his dad
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2019, 07:39:11 PM »
Note that getting something together for Christmas will be really tough.  The local hobby stores in Victoria don't really stock these types of cars as they tend to focus more on the "backyard basher" type hobbyist.  So you'll likely be looking at trying to find a used car from someone local, or special order a car through one of the local shops.

Blake