Author Topic: Finially figured it out..  (Read 3243 times)

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
Finially figured it out..
« on: August 11, 2014, 02:04:01 PM »

Ok.. So I have finially figured out the "true" clutch problem. ...  Its actually where the fly wheel is mounted onto the shaft.   Its too far away from the motor, so, according to the serpent manual when installed in the clutch spring, the nut should be threaded onto the motor shaft 1.2mm.  However, since my fly wheel is 2-3 mm further away from the motor then it should be, I inadvertantly installed the clutchspring way to tight for the clutch to engage properly. (the spring was compressed 2-3 mm instead of the 1.2)....     That was causing the clutch to slip at lower rpms......

Shawn.

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
Re: Finially figured it out..
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 02:20:46 PM »
Preeetty sure at that much over compression it was slipping at the top too

Offline serpent

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 06:22:30 PM »
rethink your problem clutch nut spacing for the spring is set by the nut that holds the flywheel always the same .distance to the end of the shaft changes shoe clearance but not spring tension .need a lesson ?

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 06:46:02 PM »
Yes but if your.measuring spring preload like the xray book says you are measuring end of crank to face . preload colar. If there are shims behind the flywheel this number will likely be different.
You would have to measure end of crank to colar and end of crank to flywheel nut and subtract difference.

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 09:09:59 PM »
rethink your problem clutch nut spacing for the spring is set by the nut that holds the flywheel always the same .distance to the end of the shaft changes shoe clearance but not spring tension .need a lesson ?

Yeah, I starting thinking about it the other day too. And I cant figure it out.  It just had to be a "glaze" or something on the end bell that finially burnt off?  I am going to be bringing my spare clutch with me this weekend, and if it acts up, will be switching them.. The "spare" clutch is the older, heavier clutch bell, but never had any problems with it.

Shawn.

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »
Yes but if your.measuring spring preload like the xray book says you are measuring end of crank to face . preload colar. If there are shims behind the flywheel this number will likely be different.
You would have to measure end of crank to colar and end of crank to flywheel nut and subtract difference.

Nope. Craig is right... You always measure from the end of the nut that holds the fly wheel on.. So the distance from the fly wheel to the clutch spring nut should be a constant. The crank threads are completely covered, and only effect the gear mesh. (how far out the pinions are from the engine. )

Shawn.

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 09:20:45 AM »

Well, I think Craig has figured it out!  Started having my usual "clutch" problem yesterday randomly again, and after triple checking it, the clutch was fine... Its was the One Way bearing in first gear that was sometimes slipping, and becoming a two way!

Thanks Craig, I wouldn't have figured that out for along time, wasn't even looking at the gears....  After the cleaning and re-lube, no more problems...   Now about my truck......  :D

Cheers,
Shawn

Offline Falcon

• Forum Veteran
  • Safety First
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 08:18:24 PM »
That's going to cost you after the $50 comment.
John Bowker
Victoria,BC

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 09:03:47 PM »
That's going to cost you after the $50 comment.

Naa....  Looked up the price of parts.... Its gonna cost no matter what!