Author Topic: Nitro motor after 2 enduros  (Read 5197 times)

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
Nitro motor after 2 enduros
« on: August 07, 2015, 12:11:43 AM »
Well my motor did not do well in the 2nd enduro. After taking it apart the cylinder and piston are scored and there is some debris on the top of the piston and on the cylinder head. So I am going to give it a complete overhaul with bearings, piston and sleeve, con rod and wrist pin. I hope this will last a while only needing a couple of con rods to keep it going. This means I will not be running nitro for a while. :-[ :'( :-\

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: Nitro motor after 2 enduros
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015, 12:59:12 AM »
Well my motor did not do well in the 2nd enduro. After taking it apart the cylinder and piston are scored and there is some debris on the top of the piston and on the cylinder head. So I am going to give it a complete overhaul with bearings, piston and sleeve, con rod and wrist pin. I hope this will last a while only needing a couple of con rods to keep it going. This means I will not be running nitro for a while. :-[ :'( :-\

Neil.

Hey Neil,

I've got a spare you can use for the remaining races this summer if you want.  I know you're not around this Sunday, but I'll bring it the following Sunday and we can get it setup in your car.

PS.  It may be cheaper to buy a new motor than replace the P/S/R, bearings, and wrist pin.  I'm not sure about OS parts, but my statement is definitely true for Novarossi parts.

Blake

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 09:01:15 PM »

Neil.

Hey Neil,

I've got a spare you can use for the remaining races this summer if you want.  I know you're not around this Sunday, but I'll bring it the following Sunday and we can get it setup in your car.

PS.  It may be cheaper to buy a new motor than replace the P/S/R, bearings, and wrist pin.  I'm not sure about OS parts, but my statement is definitely true for Novarossi parts.

Blake

Thanks for the offer Blake but I think I will let the nitro car rest until the parts arrive. I had the bearings, rod and pin so it was buy the sleeve and piston or let these parts go unused or sell them.

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 12:18:25 PM »
If you have any extra bearings ect you want to sell I'd be interested. I had a new front bearing but really need a rear one.
If you had an extra rod that would be awesome too.

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 10:46:48 PM »
If you have any extra bearings ect you want to sell I'd be interested. I had a new front bearing but really need a rear one.
If you had an extra rod that would be awesome too.

Nothing to sell as I am rebuilding the motor and will be keeping the parts I have.

Neil.
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 12:54:18 AM »
Well I just finished rebuilding the motor, the rear (big) bearing was shot. I now have a better understanding of the motor clutch witch is good. Once it is back in the car and I do the shocks it will be  break in time.

Neil.

PS: What was the name of the bearing company that was talked about last Sunday?
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 02:16:59 AM »
Hi Neil,

We were talking about Boca Bearings:  http://www.bocabearings.com/

Blake

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 10:32:29 PM »
First start up on rebuild tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuoKNZjr8_U

Tomorrow night the shocks and then brake in. I will need some help with the gear mesh on Sunday as I just can not seam to get it wright.

Neil.

Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2015, 09:48:25 PM »
So what is the general rule for braking in a motor? The instruction manual procedure says to set it to initial settings then run it for a tank then lean it out 15* and run another tank through it and keep on doing this for about two litres. That sounds like a lot to me, can I get some input on this? I have about 5 tanks through it and have leaned it out two times so far, varying the throttle with only short full throttle bursts on occasion to clear it out.

Thanks, Neil.
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2015, 02:08:25 PM »
Hey Neil,

There are as many opinions on motor breakin as there are people.  Start here and follow some of the links:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-road/855730-best-way-break-new-motor.html

Personally, I am scared of the process, don't fully understand it, and don't have the patience for it.  This is why I've been buying my motors from a company that will break the motor in for me.  It does cost a little extra but it is offset by my savings in stress, time, and fuel.

Blake