Author Topic: 2015 outdoor season classes?  (Read 2583 times)

Offline TheMachinist

2015 outdoor season classes?
« on: December 22, 2014, 12:46:44 AM »
So I'm looking to get a head start on next year's race season.
2 questions.
Does nitro touring class have a good following on the island? I'm thinking of getting another car for outdoor racing in addition to touring stock and pancar.
Also does anyone have or race a 1/8 scale nitro "pancar"? If that's the correct term. Team associated used to make them. I had an RC 500 but never raced it. They seem like a fun class albeit expensive.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Re: 2015 outdoor season classes?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
So I'm looking to get a head start on next year's race season.
2 questions.
Does nitro touring class have a good following on the island? I'm thinking of getting another car for outdoor racing in addition to touring stock and pancar.
Also does anyone have or race a 1/8 scale nitro "pancar"? If that's the correct term. Team associated used to make them. I had an RC 500 but never raced it. They seem like a fun class albeit expensive.

Hey Jordy,

Last summer we ran only Touring Stock and Touring Nitro.  We had an "OK" season with smallish numbers.  On a good day we would have 20 cars in Touring Stock and 8 cars in Touring Nitro.  On a slow day we'd have 10 cars in Touring Stock and 4 cars in Touring Nitro.

Craig, Rob, Nick, ShawnZ, and I are the hard core Nitro crew and we ran them every raceday.  I would expect similar for summer 2015.

I hope this summer we can get a regular heat of WorldGT based on the recent interest in the class at indoor racing this winter.

As for 1/8 Nitro, I believe I am the only person around here that owns one (Xray RX8'12).  They are a bit more touring car than pan-car car these days, but with the traditional wide rear tires and more narrow front tires, and of course, a GTP body to keep it on the ground.  They also run a solid rear axle and a front one-way bearing which sets their driveline apart from touring.  You need a LARGE area to run these cars.  I race mine once per summer down at TimeZone Raceway in Battle Ground WA State, and I raced it once in Florida.  It's dangerous to buy one because once you've raced these, everything else seems like a toy.

PS.  If you take the red pill, let me know as you will want to book time off to come down to TZ with me in the summer.

Blake

Offline serpent

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 05:39:01 PM »
1/10 nitro touring is fairly well supported. we run it outside pretty well every week we race. it is also offered at every trophy race in this area the pacific northwest.

Offline TheMachinist

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 05:55:38 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Looks like nitro touring car might be more usable for the time being. I'll have to start my research......

Offline serpent

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 04:25:29 PM »
hey Jordy lots of guys run xray or serpent in vic and van probably the most popular brands