Author Topic: 1/12 spec tire vs open tire w 13.5  (Read 3192 times)

Offline AlexPate

1/12 spec tire vs open tire w 13.5
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:27:56 PM »
Hi guys our club is currently deciding on whether to run the new spec 1/12 tire or leave it open tire. I am curious if any of you have run the new spec tires with 13.5. I know they are working well in Seattle with 17.5. Also wondering if the life span of the spec tire offsets the increase in cost. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
Re: 1/12 spec tire vs open tire w 13.5
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 08:45:15 PM »
As a wcics club i think most of us will be running the spec tires. they are quite good in 13.5 when the traction builds a little. they really not even that bad with lower traction just not as good.
life seems to be great as well.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 01:03:01 AM »
Hey Alex,

A few of us tested them on our club track last April/May.  Nick's comments are spot on - they worked well in 13.5 once you figure out the tire compound regime.  I found, on a lower bite track, that I had to sauce the rears for 40mins while I sauced the fronts only 15mins.  This kept a good balance in front/rear grip for the entire eight minutes.  As the grip in the track grows, then the tires become less sensitive to this balance.

There is no question that the Blu/Greene compounds are a little better in lower grip, but it can be mitigated as I describe above, and the advantage really trails off once the grip comes up.

The other really interesting thing is that the Spec tires help groove up the track.  Conversely the Blu/Greene compounds actually remove grip from the track.  This was a weird concept to me at first, until Bodine explained his experience at the Worlds last year, and Frank Calandra backed it up too.  At the 12th Worlds, all cars were using the Blu/Greene compounds and a black groove never developed - ever.  Bodine likened the traction to a 3/10 if the Victoria WCICS race is a 6/10.  Those tires just do not lay down grip, so they rely on TC rubber classes and WorldGT classes to lay down the grip.

So, I am hoping our club track will get grippier faster by us switching to the Spec tire this year.

Oh, and yes the wear on the spec tire is very good - better than Blu/Greene.  The spec tire is marginally more expensive than Blu/Greene as you pointed out, but I believe that cost is offset by the slightly longer wear.

I hope that helps,
Blake

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:13:09 PM »
I ran one set of spec tires fro two months of racing/practice at 44/43mm.
I'm still using the rears. Value for money is excellent as far as rears go.
Its nice to have one less thing to dick around with . But now ill have to try out different saucing practice.

Offline AlexPate

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:27 PM »
thanks guys, i hope this will help sway some of the guys that are afraid of the word "spec"
 :)