Author Topic: [forum news] Forum hints and tips  (Read 37665 times)

weekend_camper

[forum news] Forum hints and tips
« on: July 04, 2008, 12:08:46 AM »
Alright, I think we're over the switch to the new home.  Hope you guys like it. 

It has some features that you may or may not be familar with.  The "Help" button in the upper left of the screen is better than most and I recommend at least a quick glance to know whats there.

Quick run down of the cool new features:
  • - the user panel at the top of the forum can be compacted with the "-" near the time and date in the upper right.  "+" opens it again.
  • - searching is either quick or advanced.  "quick" is below the time and date.  "advanced" is next to 'home' 'help' and 'profile'.  Only registered users can search.
  • - PM system is improved.  You can delete all your own messages that are over "x" days for example.  I've currently set it so that low post count people (ie, the most likley to spam) have to enter a code before sending PMs.  The only downside is that its not always easy to know that you have a PM ... you can have the system send an email when you have one -- thats set in the 'profile' section.
  • - when posting, there is now a 2 minute window where you can edit the post before it becomes permanent.  Will that change back to the old way of no editing at all?  Maybe, maybe not.
  • - the switch over somehow truncated a character or two from most peoples signatures -- you'll have to go in and revamp yours if it was affected.
  • - custom avatars are still there, but you'll have to reload whatever one you were using.
  • - "profile" in the upper middle is your friend.  There you can find stats, and last posts, as well as change your email and password.  I've made all email addresses private info, as a way to combat spam.  You can adjust your avatar and sig from here.  You can also manage what threads you are subscribed/notified on (neat feature by the way).  You can also manage your PM settings from here.
  • - pictures CAN be posted here (the old site made you link to external photos, this allows you to post as attachments on our server), with some limits on sizing of course.  Less than a 100k, and less than 800x600 is the rule of thumb.  All attachments are subject to deletion by admin staff for either server space issues or common sense reasons.  Depending on volume, there may be time limits placed on their availability -- grab 'em while you can or contact the poster for your own copies.  This is a trial run.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 01:53:31 AM by weekend_camper »

weekend_camper

Re: [forum news] Forum hints and tips
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 01:54:12 AM »
Some people have commented that their browser on their machines make the forums look 'squished'.  If you would rather go without the extra menu items, the direct link to the forums is http://www.irocc.ca/irocc/forums -- but there is currently no easy way back to the main site from that page.

Offline WhoDoYouThink

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 02:23:46 AM »
Nice work Bruce!

Thanks!

Offline SgRddY

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 10:30:48 AM »
Some people have commented that their browser on their machines make the forums look 'squished'.  If you would rather go without the extra menu items, the direct link to the forums is http://www.irocc.ca/irocc/forums -- but there is currently no easy way back to the main site from that page.

Yes, I like this new link a lot better.  Thanks.

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »
How do we view posts we haven't viewed already (recent posts or something like that on the old forum)?
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

weekend_camper

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 12:21:08 PM »
How do we view posts we haven't viewed already (recent posts or something like that on the old forum)?

At the upper left, near your screen name,

"Show unread posts since last visit.
Show new replies to your posts.
Total time logged in: 6 hours and 19 minutes."

If you have compacted the user panel, you wont see it.

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:26:09 PM »

Much better!

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 10:24:53 AM »
I think the new logo should be a transparent gif to blend in better with the back ground....great looking logo

Like this

Gorden

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2008, 10:28:33 AM »
I think the new logo should be a transparent gif to blend in better with the back ground....great looking logo

Like this

Current gif

you can see how it looks here
Gorden

weekend_camper

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 08:51:13 PM »
RSS Feeds

for those that are into RSS feeds, the direct link to these forums (should be):

http://www.irocc.ca/irocc/forums/index.php?type=rss;action=.xml

link for the main site (results, IROCC news etc):

http://www.irocc.ca/irocc/index.php?format=feed&type=atom

« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 08:53:21 PM by weekend_camper »

weekend_camper

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 09:17:24 PM »

weekend_camper

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 12:58:13 AM »
Adjusted the board so that people with over 5 posts, can access the members list and easily send PM to fellow members.  This quick link is in the upper left, at the same row as "home-help-search-profile".

Also, people with less than a fiver for post count have to type in a visual code before sending PM's as a spam reduction measure.

thanks to Gord for pointing out the missing feature.

weekend_camper

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:05:14 PM »
I switched over the "forums" link on the main page to hit the forum without a wrapper around it.

Should help with some problems that people have reported.

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2008, 07:46:01 PM »
Much better!

weekend_camper

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2008, 06:59:45 PM »
I have switched over the default skin (or theme) for the forums to make it more functional and to be a closer match to the main site.

This theme will receive the most enhancements from me, and the most updating (such as the IROCC logo and links to the main site).

I have also added a few other skins to the available selection.  If you want/desire to change the look of the forums (ie, use a darker or lighter theme) feel free* -- thats what they are there for.  These extra skins are considered EXTRAS and will NOT receive enhancements from me though.  From time to time I will add more, and reserve the right to remove these at any time.

*You may choose these other skins/looks at your convenience.  Go into your profile and hit "look and layout preferences", the theme changer is at the top of the new page that flips up).  There is a small thumbnail of what the skin will look like.  Click whichever one looks good to you.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2008, 07:02:01 PM by weekend_camper »