Author Topic: New Guy wanting to get back into RC and try out some touring Car!  (Read 11840 times)

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
New Guy wanting to get back into RC and try out some touring Car!
« on: September 20, 2014, 04:26:59 AM »
Hey Fellas,

Ive been out of the RC game for 10 years, and I just decided on a whim to get into touring car stock class for next season.
I literally just purchased a TB04 Pro 2 Kit online minutes ago.
So much has changed from radios, to brushless etc and Im a little lost with the RC scene today.

So besides a rolling chassis, can you guys tell me which items to buy from hobbyking?

Im looking for budget and to run in stock class:

Radio
ESC and Motor
Servo
which batteries
budget lipo charger
anything else I am over looking.

thanks in advance

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
Re: New Guy wanting to get back into RC and try out some touring Car!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 10:02:49 AM »
Be careful ordering from hobbyking. Some of their stuff is good, a lot of it isn't.

Personally, I would never but their radio ( they are know to have problems and cause problems for other radios too), the ESC is junk.  Batteries can be good, and the turnigy motors are reliable but slow.

Take a look at either speed passion club spec, or hobbywing just stock ESC. And a mid level spectrum is pretty cheap these days.

Shawn.

Offline A.l.b.

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »
Ya my friend put a 2.4 ghz recever in his traxxas stampide that he says he got from hobby king, let's just say that was a bad day for evryone. If you want a good radio and recever try going with a spectrum.
Emaxx + parked car  don't mix..................

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 03:17:40 PM »
if you only spend money on one thing, try to make it the radio. i wouldnt trust a $500++ car to a cheap radio ever..
$99 airtronics http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=6437
$129 spectrum http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=2885

$55 Hobbywing esc roar approved http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=4548

the turnigy motor is fine. though as shawn has said, slow and likely not that reliable over the longer term esp with heat cycling. any 17.5 roar motor is fine except trinity d3.5

$65 savox servo http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=1353 best value by far of any servo on the market. plus exceptional parts availability and support in the us.

turnigy batteries are alright. but like a lot of things from hobbyking kind of disposable.

everyone will have a different idea on chargers. blake might post the charger he bought for the rental rides we have been selling. another thing you might be able to do to get on the track sooner is contact blake and see if he still has a set of electronics for a kit. we were carrying everything needed to get on the track for a few kits. all roar approved.

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 04:10:10 PM »
I would like to buy stuff that is going to last, but I don't have a ton of cash for this hobby so I would definitely consider used.

I basically need all the electrics to run the car plus batteries, charger and radio. They would need to be Roar legal stuff.

What Items you would guys buy to make the car competitive for the least $? I wont be a competitive driver, but I would like to have a car setup that I chose all the right stuff the first time, so I just need to drive and buy tires.

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 04:38:46 PM »
for speed controls, the speed passion reventon series and hobbywing juststock series are quite good. not just for the money. but comparing them back to back with the $200 price point escs, there is almost no perceivable difference in 17.5 non timing touring car.
in single cell, pancars thats something else as the amps go up. the 13.5 motors we run indoors in 12th scale draw enough current to be very close/over the 40 amp limits of these escs. they still work, just not as efficiently.

$50-$75 would be ruled by the speed passion reventon stock club race, and reventon S models. both are very similar escs with the s being different only in that it supports software timing functions. settings we and pretty much every club in north amercia do not allow in stock touring car.
it does however have a higher burst current so theoretically could give you a tiny bit more punch.. but I can definitely state from back to back experience that a 40 esc is no different in 17.5 from a 140 amp esc lol.

motors is always a complicated discussion and one largely ruled by personal opinion and experience. all motors ahve to pass through the roar process of certiciation so most of them have similar/identical perameters. they all however differ in their power bands so no two brands will work the same way when you stick em with x esc. but thats part of the fun. finding how your motor works best with your equipment.

a good "Safe" purchase would likely be an ORCA TX 17.5 motor, or Trinity D4 17.5 motor. both brands have been very strong in stock racing and should last a good long time. you could also be well served with a reedy/lrp/tekin/novak list goes on.

i think amain sells the speed passion V3 motors for $50.. rcmart sells them for $31-$35. shipping costs more from rcmart ect.. you might get duty from amain but tax is what it is.

I personally wouldn't try a turnigy motor, but i have used their batteries. they work just fine but dont seem to last that long. one or two seasons for me.

I could probably sell you my speed passion esc for like $40. someone else might have a 17.5 brushless motor to pass on for significantly less than $89.. i wouldnt expect to pay more than $40-$50 for one from a clubmate. servos, buy new. savox at minimum. dont buy a hobbyking branded servo PLEASE.. radio, you could buy used, or just get that spectrum i showed you.
i think we get a pretty good deal on the dx 4s from nrc nanaimo when we built the club rides.

if it was me, id show up tomorrow, pin down blake and see what we have for electrics. Avery's car is kind of the model of our club car experiment.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:58:51 PM »
Hi Boostgod,

Lots of good info from Nick and Shawn there.  Can you come to the track tomorrow (Sunday Sept 21)?  I can bring along a set of electronics (all brand new) that you can take a look at:

Radio: Spektrum DX4C  (http://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=SPM4200)
Motor: Speed Passion 17.5  (http://www.speedpassion.net/eu/productDetails.asp?p=SP000202&c=CMB)
ESC: Speed Passion Stock Club Race  (http://www.speedpassion.net/eu/productDetails.asp?p=SP000202&c=CMB)

We'll have to find a servo and a battery as we don't have any more of those I don't think... but that's easy enough to find used/locally for cheap.

Anyway, these electronics are about the lowest cost you'll find for good quality items that will last.  Don't quote me, but you'll be looking at less than $200 total for those three items above.  I can give you a battery for free to start with, and then we'd just have to find a used servo.

Anyway, we'll be at the track from 9AM - 4PM tomorrow if you can stop by.
Summer track location: http://www.irocc.ca/index.php?topic=4011.0

Blake

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:16:19 PM »
Thanks Blake. I can swing by tomorrow sometime mid day. I'll be on a Red CBR600RR motorcycle.
See you guys tomorrow

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 05:33:15 PM »
Ok cool - see ya tomorrow.  Just come up in the pit area and introduce yourself when you get there.

Blake

Offline ColinB

• Forum Regular
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 07:30:37 PM »
Hi,
I'll second the radio comments. I have a non-computerized radio, and it would be really nice to have one with model memories, or at least a way to lock the steering trim.

Right now Spektrum is advertising a free extra receiver with some of their radios.... good if you want to go that way.

Question for the club - are touring cars going to be run in the winter this year? Maybe I should get a second car too. Hmmmm.

Colin

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 08:19:55 PM »
I would like to buy stuff that is going to last, but I don't have a ton of cash for this hobby so I would definitely consider used.

I basically need all the electrics to run the car plus batteries, charger and radio. They would need to be Roar legal stuff.

What Items you would guys buy to make the car competitive for the least $? I wont be a competitive driver, but I would like to have a car setup that I chose all the right stuff the first time, so I just need to drive and buy tires.

Once you get your stuff ready to go, I have a LIPO 5Amp charger you can have for free.

Shawn.

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 11:12:50 PM »

Question for the club - are touring cars going to be run in the winter this year? Maybe I should get a second car too. Hmmmm.

Colin

I'm also curious about this as I will be gearing up over winter and won't be buying a pan car this year.

Once you get your stuff ready to go, I have a LIPO 5Amp charger you can have for free.

Shawn.

Thanks Shawn,

I appreciate that. As always, once I get setup and start buying better stuff I'll either give it back or pay it forward to another newbie.

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2014, 12:54:58 AM »

Colin

I'm also curious about this as I will be gearing up over winter and won't be buying a pan car this year.

Hi guys,

Yes, the plan is to run Touring Stock this winter.  With the new facility we should have time for this and I am hoping it will draw new interest in the club.  Just note that 12th Scale Stock is likely to be the biggest class this winter as it normally is.  I would also love to see a heat of World GT on a regular basis.

Blake

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2014, 11:44:04 PM »
Nice meeting you guys today. And thanks for the Esc Blake. Look forward to getting this thing together and getting my butt kicked. Just waiting for the mailman now haha.

Oh btw, I picked up a 17.5t Killshot motor used off RCtech. Any knowledge on those?
I know it's of no matter whether is fast or not since I need to learn to drive, but picking out cool shiny stuff us always fun.

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 12:14:05 AM »
I think the Killshot is a good pick - I've definitely heard good things about them.

What was your first name again...?  I forgot... sorry!

Blake

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 12:48:22 AM »
brian has that motor I think, as does jamie surrey in his 13.5 pancar. jamie kills us with it lol. brian was doing pretty well with it as well. im not sure its roar legal though being d3.5 based. but for our racing that isnt gonna be a big deal unless you start making the a or somthing lol.

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:10 AM »
I think the Killshot is a good pick - I've definitely heard good things about them.

What was your first name again...?  I forgot... sorry!

Blake

Benjamin, I probably should have typed that out earlier.

brian has that motor I think, as does jamie surrey in his 13.5 pancar. jamie kills us with it lol. brian was doing pretty well with it as well. im not sure its roar legal though being d3.5 based. but for our racing that isnt gonna be a big deal unless you start making the a or somthing lol.

According to the Roar website its legal although that still doesn't mean I'll be making the A anytime soon lol. Literally, not going to happen.  :'(

Here is the List of Stuff that's on its way (purchased):

-TB04 Pro 2 chassis kit
-Speed Passion ESC (as of today, thanks Blake)
-Used 17.5T Killshot (rctech classifieds)
-Protoform Mazda6 GX body (from what I saw today, nobody was running it. Saw mostly Speed6's, LTCR and the P37R)
-Ebay special ($10) rubber tires & wheels (they are rubber, that's all I know)

-----------------------
Im still on the hunt for the following:

-Good used steering Servo
-Used Tx & receiver
-7.4 lipo
-used charger
-driver skill

Almost there and definitely over budget already. Any suggestions welcome.

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline samson

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 10:14:34 PM »
Hi
I have a charger you can have for a set of WGT from Craig
I Charger 208B
You will have to get a power supply and any charging leads

Jamie
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9005__iCharger_208B_350W_8s_Balance_Charger.html

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2014, 12:07:49 AM »

Killshot motors are perfectly ROAR legal. Nothing wrong with them except they are made by Trinity.  They are very similar but the stators are wound with legal sized wire.   Still a pretty fast motor...

Shawn.

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2014, 12:09:11 AM »

Thanks Shawn,

I appreciate that. As always, once I get setup and start buying better stuff I'll either give it back or pay it forward to another newbie.

Found the charger tonight, I sent you a PM, we can meet up at a timmies or something and I can pass it on to you.

Shawn.

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2014, 05:19:02 AM »
Hi
I have a charger you can have for a set of WGT from Craig
I Charger 208B
You will have to get a power supply and any charging leads

Jamie
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__9005__iCharger_208B_350W_8s_Balance_Charger.html

Cool charger. What's a set of WGT?
How much is a power supply?
Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 05:25:10 AM »
Ok... So I've been abusing my paypal. Bought this radio:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/837103-spektrum-dx3s-w-2-receivers.html

Hopefully it's an ok choice. And in decent condition.

And then this happened :( orion carbon.... And I don't even have a charger yet. Shameful  :'(

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-items-sale-trade/837495-lipos-sale.html

Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline samson

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 08:06:21 AM »
It is in good shape
Pretty sure Blake uses the same one
Set of WGT tires are around $30.00
I'll look if I have an extra power supply

Jamie

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2014, 01:45:58 PM »
It is in good shape
Pretty sure Blake uses the same one
Set of WGT tires are around $30.00
I'll look if I have an extra power supply

Jamie

Yeah, let me know. I'm totally interested.
Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15

Offline Boostgod

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2014, 01:57:33 PM »

UPDATED:

Here is the List of Stuff that's on its way (purchased):

-TB04 Pro 2 chassis kit
-Speed Passion ESC (as of today, thanks Blake)
-Used 17.5T Killshot (rctech classifieds)
-Protoform Mazda6 GX body (from what I saw today, nobody was running it. Saw mostly Speed6's, LTCR and the P37R)
-Ebay special ($10) rubber tires & wheels (they are rubber, that's all I know)
-Used Dx3s Transmitter w/ receiver
-Used Orion Carbon 7.4 6500 90c lipo
-----------------------
Im still on the hunt for the following:

-Good used steering Servo
-used charger
-driver skill

Almost there and definitely over budget already. Any suggestions welcome.

Still need a decent used servo. Let me know if you guys have one.
Benjamin
TB04 Pro II
Xray T4 '15