Author Topic: IROCC To Participate in UrbaCity Challenge Sunday June 12  (Read 6769 times)

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
IROCC To Participate in UrbaCity Challenge Sunday June 12
« on: June 03, 2016, 12:30:23 AM »
Hi all,

The organizers of a Victoria urban adventure race (UrbaCity) have asked IROCC to be one of the "challenge stations" in their event this year.  The UrbaCity (http://urbacitychallenge.ca/) race is a team based scavenger hunt and obstacle course throughout downtown Victoria, and IROCC will be one of the obstacles/challenges along the way.

IROCC's challenge station will put contestants (who have likely never seen a hobby RC car) behind the transmitter to complete a set number of laps on an IROCC track layout.  Only when the contestant has successfully completed their laps will they be permitted to leave for their next challenge.

We will be setup inside the Victoria Curling Rink on Quadra Street (beside the police station).  The surface is polished concrete so the track will be slippery (anyone remember racing at the Shamrocks game a few years ago...?).  We'll use our green carpets to make a simple layout and perhaps some dots as well.  This should be a fun event and will hopefully give our club some good exposure.

What we need from our club members:
We need club members to attend the event and bring a functional 17.5 Touring car with batteries and charging equipment.  The throttle EPA should be set in the 25% range so the cars will easier for the contestants.  A lanyard for the radio will be needed so that our precious radios are not accidentally dropped by the contestants.

The event starts at 10:15AM on Sunday June 12th so we'll need to meet up at the curling rink around 9:00AM to get the carpets setup and get some batteries charging.

Please post here if you can help with this event and if you can bring a car.

Thanks,
Blake

Offline jarrodH

• Forum Veteran
  • No Budget Racing
Re: IROCC To Participate in UrbaCity Challenge Sunday June 12
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 03:49:52 AM »
I got a touring car and a radio. My old spectrum radio so don't mind. Using that one. Haha

Should be able to make it. I race the night before(11th)
ridez
2x 1/12 CRC xti-
1/12 nitro hydroplanes
1/10 customworks direct drive sprint. 
1/10 kyosho optima mid se
1/10 losi 22-2 buggy
1/10 xray t2'16
1/10 bolink eliminator

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »
I can bring my Touring car, CTA car, 2 radios, four batteries, and 3 chargers. If you are not going to attend but have some batteries and chargers that could be used I think that would help out to keep the cars running.

I do not have any  lanyards, where can I get them from?

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline ChrisS

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 07:04:54 PM »
I haven't been out to a race yet (offroad kept me busy) I don't mind loaning out my TC. Just not sure about my radio. Does anyone have a older rx/tx that I could attach to the car for the day?  I can be there as well. I know I'm not technically IROCC, but I don't mind helping out.

Offline jarrodH

• Forum Veteran
  • No Budget Racing
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 07:48:50 PM »
I haven't been out to a race yet (offroad kept me busy) I don't mind loaning out my TC. Just not sure about my radio. Does anyone have a older rx/tx that I could attach to the car for the day?  I can be there as well. I know I'm not technically IROCC, but I don't mind helping out.

I got an old traxxas rtr radio I'll donate
ridez
2x 1/12 CRC xti-
1/12 nitro hydroplanes
1/10 customworks direct drive sprint. 
1/10 kyosho optima mid se
1/10 losi 22-2 buggy
1/10 xray t2'16
1/10 bolink eliminator

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 07:53:20 PM »
I can bring my Touring car, CTA car, 2 radios, four batteries, and 3 chargers. If you are not going to attend but have some batteries and chargers that could be used I think that would help out to keep the cars running.

I do not have any  lanyards, where can I get them from?

Sounds good Neil.  As for lanyards, I have a couple that I will bring.  Otherwise just a piece of small rope, twine, or ribbon would work to protect the radio.

We'll talk more about the details at racing on Sunday.

Blake

Offline A.l.b.

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 08:23:52 PM »
I will make it to that. My tc will be there. I have to get some parts for it first.
I also have 3 other very easy to control 1/10 toy grade Rc cars that the people can drive for the event. They go about the same as a 20% throttle tc. If you want to use them.
Emaxx + parked car  don't mix..................

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 01:40:35 PM »
Hey all,

Based on discussions with everyone after racing last Sunday, we should have a decent group of us for this event.  This is what I remember off hand:

Blake (1 car)
Craig (1 car)
Rob (1 car)
Brian (2 cars)
Neil (1 car)
Luke (1 car)
Paul (1 car)
ChrisS (1 car)
NickK (1 car)
Avery (1+ cars)
Daryl maybe  (1 car)
Jarrod maybe  (1 car)

We agreed to meet at the Victoria Curling Club at 9:00AM this Sunday June 12th.

1952 Quadra St, Victoria, BC V8T 4C2
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Victoria+Curling+Club/@48.4314875,-123.3587355,15z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x26531b224f44173a!8m2!3d48.4314875!4d-123.3587355

Craig has a basic track layout in mind.  We'll just thrown down the green carpets and maybe some dots, so setup should be very simple.

Brian and I will bring a couple folding tables so we can setup a charging station.

Please remember to get some sort of string/lanyard on your radio to protect it.

The event starts at 10:15AM at the Save on Foods Memorial Arena, so we could expect contestants shortly after that.  I believe we'll be done between 1:00PM and 2:00PM.

See ya there,
Blake

Offline dajracer

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 01:56:12 PM »
Do you know any more about what the contestants are going to have to do? Are we going to need the AMB to count laps?If that is the case, then obviously we are going to need transponders in the cars. I know some members don't have personals in their cars.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
Do you know any more about what the contestants are going to have to do? Are we going to need the AMB to count laps?If that is the case, then obviously we are going to need transponders in the cars. I know some members don't have personals in their cars.

No AMB.  Each contestant will have one of us IROCCers stand beside them to make sure they're doing ok.  That IROCCer will count laps for that one person and let them go once they complete 25 laps.  UrbaCity suggests that the "challenge" take roughly 8-10 mins.  Obviously we could do 25 laps in shorter time, but I'm guessing a complete newcomer may need around 8-10 mins for that many laps.

Blake

Offline John

• Forum Rookie
  • Why can't we run Nitro indoors?
    • John's R/C Racing Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
I just want to come and turn laps

;D

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 11:12:12 PM »

No AMB.  Each contestant will have one of us IROCCers stand beside them to make sure they're doing ok.  That IROCCer will count laps for that one person and let them go once they complete 25 laps.  UrbaCity suggests that the "challenge" take roughly 8-10 mins.  Obviously we could do 25 laps in shorter time, but I'm guessing a complete newcomer may need around 8-10 mins for that many laps.

Blake

I will be bringing 2 cars so I can not count both at the same time. Will there be others  to help with this?

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline A.l.b.

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 02:14:24 AM »
I can. My car will most likely not be ready in time. I also have a traxxas receiver / radio we can bind it to. I will bring batt. And chargers.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2016, 04:06:36 PM »
Hi all,

Just a reminder to meet downtown tomorrow morning at the Victoria Curling Club at 9:00AM.

Here is the address again: 1952 Quadra St

I'm not too sure of the parking situation.  Initially I'll probably park in behind the building near the loading door.  We may have to move some of our vehicles after loading... I'm not sure yet.

See you there,
Blake

Offline A.l.b.

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
So..... Did all the others come at the same time?

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2016, 01:45:18 AM »
There was a small surge between 1PM and 2PM but that was about it.

Huge thanks to all that showed up for this event!  We exposed a LOT of public to R/C racing throughout the day.

We're back to racing at Juan de Fuca next Sunday, June 19th, Father's Day.

See ya then,
Blake