Author Topic: [forum news] Forum hints and tips  (Read 37676 times)

weekend camper

Re: [forum news] Forum hints and tips
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2010, 01:04:43 PM »
Added an island rc club link page on the main page via the "resources" button.

;)

weekend camper

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2011, 09:23:21 PM »
Welcome Mick as a new moderator on these boards. 

Also Blake and Haddow have full admin accounts now.   

weekend camper

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2011, 07:26:36 PM »
I added the limited ability to edit your own posts.

- only have 1 minute to edit.
- only for high post count forum members.

weekend camper

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2012, 07:09:22 PM »
Updated the forums with a minor patch -- should be no problem, but as always, let me know if you see something out of place.

weekend camper

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2012, 02:16:52 PM »
This is national "clean out your inbox day"   :P

If you haven't cleared out the PMs you get here (and I know we as a group send a ton) please take a moment and clear out the ones that you don't need anymore. 

Also remember that the "sent" box is likely getting full too, as its automatically checked when sending a message on this board.

Upon clicking on any personal message, you will be anchored down the same page to the actual written message. This will look just like how a post would look inside of a topic. Next to each message you will see links on the top right to: quote the message in a reply by clicking Quote, reply to the message by clicking Reply, and deleting the message by clicking Remove. Also note, you can report abusive personal messages to the administrator by clicking the Report to Admin link at the bottom right of the message. The checkboxes located farthest to the top right are also used to delete messages upon clicking the Delete Selected button below the messages.

To view sent messages, select "Sent Items" under "Messages" in the button menu or left side panel. Messages are only saved to "Sent Items" if you have put a checkmark next to Save a copy in my outbox before sending the message.

from: http://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Personal_messages

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 04:37:14 PM »
Hi Bruce

is there a auto prune feature?

GW

weekend camper

« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2012, 05:43:22 PM »
Hi Bruce

GW

There is a time based one. 

Go to "messages, actions, preferences" hit "actions".  Prune is there. Not sure if it touches the sent box or not though.

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2012, 06:19:46 PM »
Hi Bruce

GW

Go to "messages, actions, preferences" hit "actions".  Prune is there. Not sure if it touches the sent box or not though.

it does both but it's not auto prune

weekend camper

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 07:06:27 PM »

it does both but it's not auto prune

Say "Hello" to multipass... er, multiquote!!

weekend camper

« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2012, 02:13:52 PM »
Updated the forums a little with a portal system.  It should be smooth, as its just pulling existing information out and presenting in a clearer(?) way.

If feedback is positive, the idea is to scrap the current front end (the one with the results maps etc) and move that information into the forums.

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 04:28:57 PM »
Not sure if just my iphone but i cant go to forum main page. The topics field is empty. Have to click the subdorum from the recent topics form.

weekend camper

« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:03 AM »
Updated the forums a little with a portal system.  It should be smooth, as its just pulling existing information out and presenting in a clearer(?) way.

If feedback is positive, the idea is to scrap the current front end (the one with the results maps etc) and move that information into the forums.

Got that portal up and running now.  The management team is still debating on if the new format is going to work, so if you have some concerns, let Blake, Mick, Haddow or myself know.  As a user (and admin) it seems easier to have everything in one place, but thats just an opinion.

• The biggest change is that the race results and points will be on the forums now.
  • The next biggest change is that the front page is going to be highlighted by posts of interest (currently SW2012 and race schedule for the summer)
  • The "old" site is still there at http://irocc.ca/jsite  -- since its still holding the historical race results, its not going away soon.
  • One of the cool features is that you guys can comment on the new threads, like the "newbie etiquette FAQ" thread.
  • The only section is that currently read-only is the race results and thats so it remains uncluttered.
  • Main page has "blocks with minus signs" -- click those to hide/compress any area you don't want to see.
  • Some of you guys like to see the posts that are new since you've been here last -- a) main page, high left with your user panel, there is a link to "recent unread topics" and "updated topics" b) forums page -- double click the (up) arrow at the top right corner, that will pull down the old user panel, where you can click "show unread replies since last visit" or "show new replies to your posts".

Let me know if you like it/don't like it.

@Valk, is the iphone showing this OK now?

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »
Big thanks to Bruce for all his hard work on this.

The new layout is different, but it's easier for the Admins to manage because everything is in one place (forums basically).  So, the weekly race writeups and points will appear in the Summer 2012 forum each week.  You can see the first few weeks of writeups from this summer are already in there.

Please read through the Newbie Info forum and feel free to Reply to any of those posts with information you think should be added for Newbies.  If a few of you Reply with good info, then I will Edit the original post and move your information up in there.

As Bruce, said, if you're having an issue finding something, or you have a suggesting to improve anything, just let us know.

Thanks,
Blake

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2012, 01:07:20 PM »
My phone might just need a reboot. I was getting gerry's avatar embedded in posts on threads he didnt even post in ha.

I know ive said it before but i wanna write something up outlining the classes and what people need to buy. Super busy lately but i will get to it, unless someone else can make it clearer. I plan to have pics, links to product and links to how to's so its not all a surprise.
Should i post a thread and you move it around? Or should i email you the content and an admin can post it all prolike?

weekend camper

« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 01:42:58 PM »
I know ive said it before but i wanna write something up outlining the classes and what people need to buy. Super busy lately but i will get to it, unless someone else can make it clearer. I plan to have pics, links to product and links to how to's so its not all a surprise.
Should i post a thread and you move it around?

Sounds great, just post a thread somewhere and an admin will move it to the right spot.

As for Gerry, yeah, he likes to take over when he can.   :D