IROCC Info > Newbie Info

Bullet connectors and building a power from PC PSU

(1/2) > >>

Boostgod:
I have a few questions.

I noticed on the speed passion club Esc the motor wires have female bullet connectors on them. I'd like to utilize them instead of soldering every time I want to switch a motor.  What size would the male ones be to solder to the motor? Can they be had locally?

I also bought a used orion carbon battery pack which uses "tubes", what size is the male connector that goes into it?

These are all newer style connectors I haven't  seen before.

And lastly, anyone try converting a PC PSU as a means to make a cheap custom power supply for a dc charger?

Shawn68z:

Normally people use a 3mm plug on the motor side. I believe I have some I send your way.  If you get them downtown you will pay through the nose.   However, saying that, I would recommend soldering the wires to the motor.  Less chance of failure, and how often do you change a motor?  Mine has been soldered in for 3 years now.

As for the power supply, I have converted acouple of them now, you need to make sure there is always a load present on the power supply or it wont regulate properly. The easiest to do is install a 50 Ohm (8 Watt) resistor between the 12V rail and the GND.

The other thing you have to be aware of is how the PSU produces the 12V, some have 1 rail which is the best, but some have multiple 12V rails of different amperages.   A single large high amperage rail is ideal, and easier to work with. Small amperages can be used, but its easier to mix them up and overload the rail.

Shawn.

Boostgod:
Thanks Shawn.

What size are the bullets for the battery pack?

Shawn68z:

--- Quote from: Boostgod on September 24, 2014, 03:34:12 PM ---Thanks Shawn.

--- End quote ---

4mm older packs, and lower C values
5mm for the newer higher discharge C valued packs. (I still think its all marketing. )

Boostgod:

--- Quote from: Shawn68z on September 24, 2014, 05:12:23 PM ---
--- Quote from: Boostgod on September 24, 2014, 03:34:12 PM ---Thanks Shawn.

--- End quote ---

4mm older packs, and lower C values
5mm for the newer higher discharge C valued packs. (I still think its all marketing. )

--- End quote ---

Hey Shawn,

Can you have a look at this for me?

http://www.tamiyausa.com/pdf/manuals/84382ml.pdf

Ive been looking it over, and was wondering if you have any tips as far as if I should use the factory diff / shock oils or if you recommend something else.
Plus I understand that people put thicker oil / grease in the front diff? How would that effect handling? Does that create understeer / oversteer?

Im going to be running stock setting for everything else until I learn it, but if I can put the right oils in the diffs / shocks from the get, it will save me hassle later.

This article here:  http://www.thercracer.com/2013/11/tamiya-tb04-pro-build-and-review.html recommends 1.5k in the rear diff and 500,000cst in the front diff.

Can you explain that to me, and do toy recommend I just use the OEM fluids in the Kit or not?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version