Author Topic: World GT-R or Scale Spec GT  (Read 5490 times)

Offline Brutus279

World GT-R or Scale Spec GT
« on: August 28, 2017, 03:42:32 AM »
Good day everyone,

As some of you know, We've just moved into Victoria few months ago. World GT (foam) died years ago out west. Most peoples did converted their foam pan cars to rubber as World GT-R kicked in.

World GT-R is by design a class that encourage precise driving, sportsmanship and close racing. Pan cars being inexpensive to start with, World GT-R is the best entry class for people aspiring moving up to super stock 1/12 13.5t. Since it's using common electronic as 1/12 stock 17.5t, it make a lot of sense starting from here on the east coast. Plus, a lot of the 1/10 GEN X-10 R/T parts are compatible with the 1/12 XTI WC. Most of the supporting parts are already stocked in hobbyshop.

On a other hand, VTA and USGT is a great entry class for those wanting to move up in the 4wd touring segment. However, base investment is almost twice when looking at descent touring chassis... And lets be honest, we all love the simplicity and history behind pan cars.

Right now World GT-R cars are allowed in the Scale Spec GT class (WCICS) running silvercan on ether 1s or 2s. Since any 1/10 pan car chassis can be converted quite easily to run CRC RT-1 tires, would any of you be interested to run their car with us?

I'm currently struggling with the question of having our cars setup following the Scale Spec GT (2s silvercan) or the World GT-R (1s 17.5t). While both setup can be switched quite easily, I would like to see a beginner friendly affordable, durable and fun class so clubs can keep growing in memberships.

Years ago we managed to get our wife and kids embracing the Mini class. But with the car getting faster and faster and peoples twisting the rules (out east), the less competitive crown just stopped attending. Ours years of tail swinging gear grinding springy little cars were over, making the class almost as competitive as the touring class.

Some clubs decided to go with a TT02 box stock (bushing/friction) class, while other went with the World GT-R. World GT-R not being limited by chassis engineering, the only items to tech is the motors and ESC. That did make everybody life easier.

Please share your thought!

Offline jarrodH

• Forum Veteran
  • No Budget Racing
Re: World GT-R or Scale Spec GT
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2017, 10:04:41 PM »
Sent you a pm Brutus. You back in town?
ridez
2x 1/12 CRC xti-
1/12 nitro hydroplanes
1/10 customworks direct drive sprint. 
1/10 kyosho optima mid se
1/10 losi 22-2 buggy
1/10 xray t2'16
1/10 bolink eliminator

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:13:27 PM »
Hey Samuel,

Good to hear from you again - I'm looking forward to you joining in with our racing club this winter!

Out here (West) the original foam World-GT class died a slow death over the last 2-3 years.  Our club IROCC here in Victoria carried it along longer than most other clubs.  CRC revived the class in the last couple of years by switching it to rubber tires and cooler bodies.  That revival seems quite strong in certain specific regions in the East (in both USA East and Canada East), but I have not seen it anywhere else really.  At IIC last year the turnout was weak, and at MHIC the last two years, the turnout was almost non-existent.  The weak turnouts in the West lead WCICS to completely eliminate the class from the upcoming 2017/2018 season.

As for club racing with IROCC in Victoria:
We like to see as many people racing with us as possible - and it's in our best interest to find ways for new club members, and new racers to be able to participate with our club.

1. You're more than welcome to run your WGT-R cars (1S 17.5) in our Scale Spec class.  Based on some research, you will likely be slightly outclassed in horsepower, but you'll be out there racing.

2. Do you have a Silvercan for testing?  It would be interesting to see what 2S Silvercan laptimes would be like.

3. There are 3-4 other racers in our club that have older World GT cars, a couple of which have been converted to CRC rubber.  The racers that tried it here (very experienced racers) found the class quite slow for veteran racers and they weren't that excited about it.  But for a newer racer it could be a cheap and fun way to learn racing.  That said, we tend to point new racers toward Scale Spec with a used TC chassis since that is relatively cost effective too, it's a manageable speed, and can be raced outdoors in our asphalt racing program.  Yes the 2S battery costs more, but there are so many used batteries floating around you can usually find something reasonable.

Come out on a Thursday evening when you're back in town and let's do some testing.  Bring your 12th Scale too!

And lets be honest, we all love the simplicity and history behind pan cars

PS.  I loved this line!  Trust me, our club has had a pan car focus for decades.  Our weekly 12th Scale class (13.5 to align with WCICS) is our most popular class by far.

Blake

Offline Brutus279

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:47:36 PM »
I just got back :) I do have 2s and a brushed esc. I would just need a old Silvercan and taller standoff to accommodate the thickness of the 2s batterie. I can pull the CRC number if you order soon. I would also need a front foam bumper for the Gen X-10. I'm available almost every Thursday night until mid-Dec.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:08:22 PM »
I just got back :) I do have 2s and a brushed esc. I would just need a old Silvercan and taller standoff to accommodate the thickness of the 2s batterie. I can pull the CRC number if you order soon. I would also need a front foam bumper for the Gen X-10. I'm available almost every Thursday night until mid-Dec.

Sounds good - send me the CRC part number you need - I'll be placing an order on Sunday night.  I have the foam bumper in stock.

Hopefully see you Thursday next week.

Blake