Author Topic: REVENGE .12ON with Tuned Pipe and Manifold  (Read 3734 times)

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
REVENGE .12ON with Tuned Pipe and Manifold
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:10 PM »
Any thoughts on this? The pipe is $ 32.40 and the manifold is $19.20 so they are selling the motor for $67.40.

http://novarossidirect.com/REVENGE-12ON-with-Tuned-Pipe-and-Manifold_p_3233.html

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
Re: REVENGE .12ON with Tuned Pipe and Manifold
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:31:26 PM »
ill have one of these soon. the pipe apparently goes straight in the bin, but the manifold is a legit 41616. 2660 pipe is highly recommended. this motor should be tons for our track or even the vancouver track. cant go wrong with the price, though  i wish you could get it barebones with no manfiold or pipe.

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:35:03 PM »
though i will say, there is not a lot of information on these motors other than people saying to get the mito which cost quite significantly more. I was going to get an ison but JT in vancouver claims the revenge is fast with the proper pipe. some internet scouring claims the motor to be a good deal and pretty fast with upgraded pipe. it wouldnt really be fair to compare it to a $400 tuned nova but for the price, should be an excellent club race engine.

Offline John

• Forum Rookie
  • Why can't we run Nitro indoors?
    • John's R/C Racing Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:08:57 PM »
I would try the pipe out, no sense wasting it.

I saw what this engine sounds like and runs like last race.  I couldn't believe it.  It's no 353 - discontinued (my favorite from a few years ago), but it runs well.

In fact, I am almost certain it is faster than the ison as well, just by seeing the acceleration and hearing the sound.

We had Chuck running the revenge with a 2660 pipe and it sounded fantastic, then we had Ed Lee running it with the included pipe and it held its own.  Not a bad idea to keep that pipe for an enduro or a club race backup.

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 06:49:34 PM »
Do you have data on the fuel economy between the two pipes? My hopes are a 6 minute engine with the 2660 but if its better still with thre included pipe, awesome.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
Hi Nick.
I'm able to do 7 mins with this motor/paired with the 2660.

From what I can tell, this "package" it is a mish mash of parts:
- Ison/Top Elite crankcase
- 353 head
- the black pipe is basically surplus of old novarossi stock, not great but not bad

For the something the size of the IROCC track, this is a very competitive motor. Way easier to tune than my Rossi Pixy, and with the breakdown of the package, it's basically a $68 motor.

Chuck

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 02:13:05 AM »
ill have to get out to the parking lot and throw down some laps this week. ive never actually raced my new car let alone with this new engine. i ran it in for blake and gave it to him in run in state, so pig ass rich. it was able to make some rpm but has a strange transition through the midrange ill have to sort out. i dont know if anyone had time to adjust the bottom or the idle screw or any of that so i have a project this week!

how much pinch did yours have after run in?

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2016, 02:37:50 AM »
I used half a gallon to break it in with the Cyrul method, and the"it's too tight because it's new" feeling was gone, and the motor idled decently.
1 day of doing a couple 100 laps in Kamloops, 2 club races at RRR, and today at IROCC, and it still feels good. 2 & 1/2 gallons through it so far, still very punchy.

No point in replacing the con-rod of a $68 motor. Just buy a "backup" motor. I don't see this being a Time Zone-killer. But it's definitely an excellent motor for a club racer who wants to exert minimum effort at minimum cost.

I'm surprised this engine doesn't have a Spec-R or Sakura tag on it.

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2016, 03:01:05 AM »
Hmm. I only ran a liter through it by heatcycle method and it has freed right up. $68 motors make great test and learning motors for sure!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2016, 04:41:03 PM »
Hey all,

Some of your ordered these motors last Sunday.  They are enroute, but its a slow process from this particular vendor.  They will arrive mid next week.  Unfortunately I'm out of town until next Saturday so you'll have to wait until Monday or Tuesday (July 4th or 5th) to pickup the motors at Matrix.  If you're planning on running them at Speed Weekend, you'll have 4-5 days left to break them in.

Thanks,
Blake