Author Topic: As We Go Forward  (Read 3485 times)

Offline RC51

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.t-bang.ca
As We Go Forward
« on: December 30, 2005, 12:23:53 PM »
Hi, all.

Great fun racing last night! We had all versions of cars out there. Jeff and Dave put the iWavers to the test and with Jeff's Tamiya mod motor, the thing was a rocket. The Ford bodies also look very cool on the track.

As Kurk posted, the XMods are certainly capable of higher speeds which presents a whole different setup scenario. With a few very inexpensive modifications to the car, they can also be a hoot to drive. BTW, I think the lighting kit was a great addition, Kurk. This was the first time that we have really seen them in action so thanks, you guys.

Mini-Z's were their predictable selves with the exception of Jim's recurring radio issue causing him to do donuts at the end of the straight! Time to switch that board out, Jim? Personally I finally wore the rubber right off of my rims last night. After two years of using the same fronts they literally decomposed and flew apart last night!

So, to the point, there are a few things we'll need to consider as we move forward. First, I'll get a frequency clip board going. With all of the crystals on site we should be able to have at least 12 cars on the track at the same time without issue. Having said that, 5 of us were sorting ourselves out in the first half hour and so hopefully we can avoid that for the future.

Second, I'll be putting up a donation box to help offset some of the costs that I am incurring on both consumables and materials. I would like to suggest $2.00 per night if you can afford it, but this would be based on an honor system and whatever you can afford to donate. To give you an idea, I have provided a full set of crystals for everyone to use, motor spray, traction wash, tools, glue, transmitters, food on occasion, rims, H-plates, bumpers, bearings, diffs, bodies, tires, chargers, dischargers, batteries, oils and lubes and other miscellaneous parts. Anything you can chip in helps the Mini community in the long run.

Third, for the Mini-Z and iWaver guys, you are welcome to use on-hand tires on your first night out as you try to figure out what you want to do with your car. It seems that everyone tries the foams for example. After your first night, however I would ask that you purchase a set such that others can continue to try the tires as well. I have fronts and rears for sale on hand.

Fourth - batteries. It's now time for each of us to invest in batteries for racing if you have been using the "house" batteries. The batteries on hand are all spoken for and as of Monday, the guys that own them will be back in town. They really are inexpensive and a good investment. If you are able, please charge them in advance of coming out and you are welcome to re-peak chez moi and to discharge/charge throughout the night. I’ll be placing the chargers in a location more conveniently accessed by all.

As time goes by it would be great to approach some of the malls and shops in town to let them know that we have a mini version of IROCC that could be used to showcase the club as a whole. Moving and setting up the track is a snap and a minor consideration, so hopefully we could look forward to that in the future once we have a chance to chat about this with IROCC executive.

Thanks, everyone. Looking forward to seeing you all out there.

Phil.

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
As We Go Forward
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:59:12 PM »
First off - a big "Thank You" to Phil for hosting us and spending a whole pile of $$ on a very sweet track system.  $2 shouldn't be a problem for sure esp considering what you've invested in the track alone that we are all using.

BTW are we racing Monday instead of Tuesday eve this week?
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline RC51

• Forum Veteran
As We Go Forward
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005, 11:47:45 AM »
Hi, Kurk.

Monday for sure. Tuesday is not 100% at this point and will likely be determined on Monday when folks are there. Just a lot happening at this point. Hope to see you Monday. Ciao.

Offline jamminjim

• Forum Regular
As We Go Forward
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005, 12:08:32 PM »
HI All,
Geez Phil, sounds like some "familiar" ideas !!!! (I think I'll copyright them next time - lol)  As far as parts go, I have a "few" parts and wouldn't mind letting guys try them out. I've got some Bling parts that I don't use that guys may want to try out. I also have some spare Xmod parts that have been replaced with alloy ones. I also have tons of rubber tires, but not too many foamies.  We should approach Ray or Ken to see if we can do a bulk order as we do in 1/12th scale for the foamies. I agree that frequencies and batteries can be an issue. I'll be getting a few extra sets of batts and pre-charging them. A guy in Canada sells them on Ebay cheap. I think they are 950's. (3 sets for $25 give or take)
I would like to do some brainstorming with all interested in doing a mall display. Can West has a perfect area, and there's a Source right there that may "sponsor" us.(Xmod guys!!!!)  
Keep the fun coming.
Know racing, know life.  No racing, no life.

Offline RC51

• Forum Veteran
As We Go Forward
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2006, 11:25:13 AM »
Hey, everyone.

Good news. Last night I solidified a deal with VictoriaXmod to obtain a tonne of new track. Brian A will be the owner since he offered to buy it outright: a road course and an "over and under" and when added to the sets that I have, this thing has the potential to be huge with 20-30 second lap times. Essentially we have more than doubled the size of the track. We'll see if we can't use some of it tonight. Yup, that's right, I'll be picking it up this afternoon!

On a related note, I have inquired about the mini-lapcounting system. The bottom line is that the new very small but very accurate system runs $800 in your hands. So, the $2.00 tip jar just became a "donation" jar and all of the proceeds will go to a Core lapcounting system. This system is used at a couple of locations in Vancouver and in major races. It appears to be highly regarded and a cost effective alternative to AMB and is suitable for cars up to 1/18th scale. More to follow.

Phil

Offline CHRIS_MORRISON

• Forum Veteran
As We Go Forward
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2006, 03:06:17 PM »
is that the system i sent a link to you about
ww.t-bang.ca (team driver)
www.powellracingcomponents.com
www.gqproduct.com
www.tqcells.com
www.dekelz.com
Hotbodies AH-12    X 2
I was so dialed, I was calling collect.

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
As We Go Forward
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2006, 03:45:04 PM »
Excellent - nice to hear the track is staying here in town - hopefully we'll see VictoriaXmod out at the track and he'll get a chance to play with it :)
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline RC51

• Forum Veteran
As We Go Forward
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2006, 05:31:04 PM »
Hi everyone.

5 boxes of the stuff! Tonight we'll stay with the RCP track until Brian has an opportunity to modify a couple of pieces to join the tracks (simple enough). I also thought that since I usually set the track up that I would wait to hear from Brian first ... you know, it's like buying a motorcycle and someone else hops on it and takes it for a ride before you do!

It looks dirt simple to set up since the side rails are already attached and the straights are already joined width-wise. At first glance it appears to be some 6-10 inches narrower which will make for some great width AND surface changes not to mention the elevation changes due to the bridge. Cool.
Phil