Author Topic: racing in parksville  (Read 2514 times)

Offline 5thscaleracing

• Forum Rookie
racing in parksville
« on: August 16, 2008, 02:46:17 AM »
Does anyone have any info on whats going on in Parksville?  I know they are running mini's at AirInk Body & Paint. 

Anyone?

Offline Shawn68z

• Forum Veteran
Re: racing in parksville
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »

Yeah i raced with them acouple of weeks back.  They run 2-3 classes of cars depending on how many people show up, and the type of cars.

Their biggest class is the box stock 1/18 Associated cars.  The night I went they had about 10-12 of those running, with varying levels of driver skills.

The other class they run is a open class so people who do not have a 1/18 can atleast race. 

They use the optical Robitronic lap counting system, and they start around 5:30-6pm, on wednesday nights.

Good fun, and a great atmosphere.

Offline TestosteRON

• Forum Rookie
  • Retired
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 11:22:58 PM »
Well, the racing in Parksville is as Shawn described......but we are at the end of our present series and are planning to race indoors for the winter. We have access to an industrial unit in the Pinetree Centre at Church and Port Alberni Hwy.......we haven't decided on which day or night to race yet.
Yes, the owners of Air Ink/RC Hobby are the instigators of the racing, if you want more info, call either Matt or Tonia for more details @ 250 248-0252.
We are mainly running stock Associated 18R rally cars, right out of the box, mainly to encourage newcomers, who can get into racing at a very reasonable price......and it is working!
I have just bought a Traxxas Slash and after running it on the road track, it is quite entertaining to drive and watch, so much so, that it looks like there will be one or two more in a class of their own, again at a very reasonable price. We plan to use artificial jumps, to give it the "CORR" (Championship Off Road Racing" authenticity!
Also we will let you "run what you brung" class and this brings out a few interesting cars......we were trying to encourage touring cars!
TestosteRon
Losi SCTE 4x4
CRC XL (ex B.Bell)

Offline WrenchMonkey

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2009, 02:46:48 AM »
just a quick update for anyone who is following this thread.  Matt and Tonia are getting a new shop opening up hopefully at the end of this week they said.  it will have an indoor course with room to test helo's they might be carrying soon.  they will also have an outdoor track behind the shop, but its electric only.  they have very close neighbours that don't like nitro's.  they will still have the body shop and all, but the R/C side will be bigger and better.

ps. myself and a few buddies in Port here love to bash the nitro's at a pit or two, not really into racing.  we run nitro offroad, nitro onroad and electric rock crawlers

Offline haddow

• ayatollah of rock and rolla
  • Forum Veteran
    • Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2009, 04:38:39 PM »
Wrenchmonkey

Good to hear they are still alive and expanding up there! Dealing with Nitro in close proximity to neighbors is just something we have to accept. Good thing we have brushless and lipo technology so well developed in RC cars now!

Jody
Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
https://www.facebook.com/drspeeddesigns/

Offline TestosteRON

• Forum Rookie
  • Retired
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2009, 02:18:03 AM »
Hello to you all, who read the IROCC threads.......and yes we are thriving and doing very well here in Parksville.
As Wrenchmonkey (do I know you?) indicated, we are indending to run mainly Traxxas Slashes on the off road track, (not yet built) beside the new location of AIR INK and RC shop.
Also Matt and Tonia are putting in another 1/18 scale track indoors. When they closed the track at the other place, we had close to 20/25 entries per race nights........and more are ready to come racing their 1/18th cars!
A number of us are planning on coming down to Victoria to race our 1/18 cars on your summer track, as not many of the people here have suitable touring cars....right Blake!
Regards,
Ron.
Losi SCTE 4x4
CRC XL (ex B.Bell)

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 01:51:35 PM »
Ron,

As discussed, if you bring a heat of 18th Scale cars down in the summer, we will add you to the race program for a Sunday.  And if it leads to some of those racers possibly finding/borrowing some sort of Touring Car setup for Speed Weekend, I will have met my end goal!

See ya in the sun,
Blake