Author Topic: Newbie questions  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Monkey39

Newbie questions
« on: October 16, 2012, 03:47:41 PM »
 Hey !

I started racing with Cor in  may and  caught the bug and Im looking for more . I read your newbie  section thread and it says to start with the 18R  and I was considering buying one  but then I noticed the thread  in this section about no one with 18th scale coming out?

So  what do I wanna get to start and keep cost down ?  Im an AE fan   would a TC4  be a good start?  is brushless a must for on road? I dont wanna dive in a drop 5 bills on a kit or anything until  I find out if I like it or not and  honestly my lack of driving skill will hold me back more the the car.

any ideas would be great

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
Re: Newbie questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Since we only had one indoor day so far its hard to predict how the indoor scene will look for 18r but if you want a sure thing that will grow with you, 12th scale is your best bet.

Id look at getting this
http://www.irocc.ca/index.php?topic=4170.0

$175 for car with spares, body and a pretty darn good battery/booster.

Im sure somone in the club has a 17.5 brushless they could sell you. Then you just need mini servo and esc.
Sadly there is no rtr option, but used stuff canfet you close.

You should come out on saturday and check out what our indoor program has to offer =)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 04:24:14 PM by valk »

Offline Falcon

• Forum Veteran
  • Safety First
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
We have a rent a car but it's a touring car and we only use them outside and at winter indoor special races. I would come out and or ask online to see if theres a car to try out.
John Bowker
Victoria,BC

Offline Monkey39

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 07:59:07 PM »
12th scale are pan cars right ? .... I have an old corally i got has part of a trade its just missing a the body.. maybe I'll snap a pic and you guys can tell me if its worth doing anything with.. i think its pretty old

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 08:05:52 PM »
12th scale are pan cars right ? .... I have an old corally i got has part of a trade its just missing a the body.. maybe I'll snap a pic and you guys can tell me if its worth doing anything with.. i think its pretty old

Get it running and come out a see how you like it. you''ll need a 1 cell lipo or a 4cell nimh pack

Offline dajracer

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 10:55:49 PM »
18R is a beginners class, and mostly to get kids interested.
What kind of vehicle were you running with CORR? What kind of speed control, servo, motor, etc? Some of these could be transferrable to a 1/12 scale car.
Brushless motors are the way to go for any form of RC these days, very little maintenance and much less costly than brushed motors in the long run.
The best thing to do is to come out and take a look!!!