Author Topic: 2012 Summer Racing Details  (Read 12093 times)

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
2012 Summer Racing Details
« on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:45 PM »
Hi all,

After a LOT of deliberation, head scratching, and mental chess, here is what we decided for the upcoming Summer 2012 race season at IROCC.

Summer 2012 Mission Statement

Primary Focus 1 - Grow the club
It's no secret that IROCC has been shrinking over the last 2-3 years.  Older members have left the hobby for a variety of valid reasons, and we have not been backfilling with new blood.  We have NEVER had an easy/cheap way to get started in racing.  Thinking about it now, I'm surprised we have survived as long as we have!  NRC enjoys great success with their newcomer program, and it's time that Old Fuddy-Duddy IROCC take an important lesson from those Nanaimo Upstarts!

Primary Focus 2 - Provide a more enticing class selection for all levels: Novice -> Expert
While last year's classes provided some excellent racing at all levels, there was something missing.  Unless you were willing to get your hands dirty with a Nitro car, there wasn't really an electric option to get your blood pumping.

Primary Focus 3 - Provide a more forgiving race schedule for the family man
An IROCC summer raceday is a serious time commitment which has proven too much for many of our members.  In general, we want to shorten the raceday, and provide more off-weekends to reduce the impact on the home-front.

Summer 2012 Classes

Novice 18R
The Associated 18R will be the new Novice class at IROCC.  Yes, we passed on 18R as the Novice class last year, and in hindsight, I think that was a mistake (Shawn, please don't rub it in).  Novice 18R provides a cheap, race-oriented, RTR solution that will work for both summer racing AND winter racing.  Further, it has a proven track record with NRC that cannot be ignored.  The idea is that IROCC will keep a couple of 18R kits (and some parts) on-hand at the track for sales during racedays.

The big difference between this initiative and last year's Loaner TC4 is that the 18R is cheaper, stronger, brushless, 2.4GHz, and will work for BOTH summer and winter racing.  The idea of the class is simply to get new members on the track in quick and easy fashion.

Touring Stock 17.5 Non-Boosted
This class stays the same as last year.  We elected to stick with the North American standard of non-boost for this class because it levels the playing field across ESC brands, and provided some of the closest TC racing I've seen last year.  Further, the large majority of the IROCC respondents preferred that we stick with non-boost formula.

World GT 13.5 Boosted
This class stays the same as last year.  Again, the large majority of the IROCC respondents preferred that we stick with the World GT spec rather than converting back to Pro10.  Our historical attendance statistics backed this up as well showing that we had a better weekly turnout in WorldGT last year than we did in Pro10 the previous year.  The class is standard around North America and it provided some very competitive racing at all levels last summer.

Touring Nitro
This class stays the same as last year.  While not everyone's cup of tea, Nitro racing gives the club some serious street cred.  On more than one occasion, while wearing my IROCC shirts, I've had people stop me on the street telling me that they saw us racing "those crazy gas powered race cars" in Colwood.  While that might not mean a whole lot to some, I think it casts the club in a good light that shows newcomers the full breadth of R/C racing.  The spectator draw to Nitro will be especially critical this year as we kickoff our newcomer growth program.

Pro12 Open
If you're lapping the field in TC Stock and World GT, and Nitro isn't your thing, then we offer you what could be the fastest class to ever hit our track: Pro12.  This class is experimental for 2012 and is our answer to those electric racers that need a Nitro-esque adrenaline boost.  The specs are: 12th Scale chassis, 1s battery, and Open ESC/Motor.  This class is not for the faint of heart as the slightest bobble could literally destroy your precious 12th Scale.  The class is really intended for those electric racers that are a lap up on the field in TC Stock and/or World GT and have no one to race with.  If you were placing in the A-Main in Pro10, then this class might be for you.

Five Classes???
Yes, we'll admit that this goes against our usual preaching of "keep everyone together in one class for tight racing".  However, it's really only one additional class compared to last Summer when you consider that we ran Novice as a 4th class last year.  We know we need a shot in the arm, and so we're going to give this new formula a try this summer.  We have such a varied group of racers that we want to offer something exciting for everyone.  If it doesn't work, then we'll adjust for the following year, but at least we're trying to revive some of the excitement that we all used to enjoy!

Summer 2012 Schedule
IROCC will run Sunday racing three out of four weekends.  This is the same idea as we've been running this winter and I think it has helped keep the turnouts relatively consistent even deep into the season.  We will be coordinating our schedule with NRC so that there is opportunity to support their Sunday events on our off-weekends, and they can possibly support our racing on their off-weekends.

Track setup will begin at 9AM sharp, and all racers in attendance at 9AM will receive a pink raffle ticket.  If you are late, you will not get a ticket.  Then, at the end of the day, after the last hose is loaded, Craig will draw the winning ticket behind the truck.  You must be standing there, at the back of the truck, to be eligible to win.  The winner will receive a free raceday the following Sunday.

The first qualifier will start at 10:30AM and we will reduce to two qualifiers when turnouts are high.  We will set a cutoff time (1PM), and if we have not finished the 2nd round of qualifying by this time, we will skip the 3rd round and go directly into the Mains.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
Blake

Offline Falcon

• Forum Veteran
  • Safety First
Re: 2012 Summer Racing Details
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 04:40:32 PM »
Blake , well said. All we can hope for is that all IROCCers support this. Were here to have fun, don't forget.
John Bowker
Victoria,BC

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:17:22 PM »
Good day!

First off I would like to say good job to all involved to set up this some what  new summer format and schedule. I have one question, is the 18r a stock only class or  an open class?

Neil.
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline dajracer

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »
Neil, the 18R will be an open class, mainly because there are already a lot of modified 18R's out there right now. If we hope to draw any of the kids from Nanaimo who have these cars we have to leave it open. This class is meant to be a beginners, novice class so we can get the kids out. As was mentioned at the exec. meeting, kids don't like racing with adults in the same race. Mainly because kids still look at this as a fun thing to do, not the same kind of fun us adults seem to be having.
I hope all members will look at this as an attempt to increase numbers during the summer and hold those numbers for the winter. We all know, the more the merrier. It, also, will level the playing field on all levels with more racers racing with others of the same caliber.
Have a good day everyone, and please continue to post your thoughts on these changes.

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:57:45 PM »
Great response Daryl.

We really hope that 18R will be the "gateway class" to TC and WorldGT.  This has happened BIG TIME at NRC over the last couple of years as they have switched half their club from 18R to 12th Scale.  We hope to get similar results here at IROCC.

Blake

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:09:24 PM »
Sounds like an epic program. Cant wait to see open 12th scale.

Will there be a restriction to how many classes you can run?  Will there be a pool to contribute to prebuy the 18r's how anout bodies for them or will we just have a full heat of bone stock sc18s truck bodies out there?

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 07:00:10 PM »
Hi Nick,

Yes, there is a limit to the number of classes one individual can run.  The limit is 3 classes.  This will allow us to have enough racers for corner marshalling.

IROCC will be fronting the cash to pre-buy a couple of 18R kits.  We will have these kits at the track every week in the hopes of selling them to potential newcomers.  If you already know of newcomers that might be interested, let us know and we can arrange to have the kits in their hands BEFORE the season kicks off.  NRC will be our supplier for the 18R kits.

As for bodies, I would expect most newcomers to simply use the included body.  Do they come pre-painted?

Blake

Offline dajracer

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 07:15:52 PM »
SC 18 bodies come prepainted, only problem would be that they only have a couple of paint schemes so I could foresee young people driving somebody else's car and wondering why it is not going the way it should be.

Offline Gorden

• Forum Veteran
    • IROCC Racing Results
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 08:06:05 PM »
SC 18 bodies come prepainted, only problem would be that they only have a couple of paint schemes so I could foresee young people driving somebody else's car and wondering why it is not going the way it should be.

you could put some numbers on them

Offline valk

• Forum Veteran
  • N00B
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 08:17:51 PM »
since so many people use the exotek for that class, why not do a groupbuy of them, and sell them prepainted as option for the kits? there are a bunch of people in the club that paint, so could get it done pretty quick like.
or chuck work matts way if he has the time, whichever.

so what kinda bribes are attractive when looking for a pitman ;)?

Offline BCbud

• Forum Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
Neil, the 18R will be an open class, mainly because there are already a lot of modified 18R's out there right now. If we hope to draw any of the kids from Nanaimo who have these cars we have to leave it open. This class is meant to be a beginners, novice class so we can get the kids out. As was mentioned at the exec. meeting, kids don't like racing with adults in the same race. Mainly because kids still look at this as a fun thing to do, not the same kind of fun us adults seem to be having.
I hope all members will look at this as an attempt to increase numbers during the summer and hold those numbers for the winter. We all know, the more the merrier. It, also, will level the playing field on all levels with more racers racing with others of the same caliber.
Have a good day everyone, and please continue to post your thoughts on these changes.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Is the 18r class going to be mainly for the kids or for any novice skilled drivers, I am thinking of the Lesters at this time. I think Danny is coming back this summer and I think it would be great to see his parrents put there 18r's on the track and have some fun if they wish to do so., lets get thhem off the spectators seats!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:52:28 PM by BCbud »
Xray T4 2013 Touring Stock - Xray T4 2013 VTA - Xray NT1 - CRC Gen-X10  - CRC GEN-X - CRC GEN-XI - Traxxas Slash 4X4 with LCG conversion - RC8Be  - Xray XB4  - DX3R-PRO
Recycled teenager.
XLR8!

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 09:41:12 PM »
Hey Neil,

Good to hear about the Lesters.  It would be great to have them back.  Novice 18R is not reserved for young kids.  It is for any newcomer to the sport, regardless of age.  I would say that Mark Lester would be better suited to TC Stock because he has raced 2+ seasons with us in the past.  If Mrs. Lester wants to start racing, 18R would be perfect.

Blake

Offline jarrodH

• Forum Veteran
  • No Budget Racing
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:53:32 PM »

Ya that's funny how that happens.. Wasn't the class  ment for beginners/stock cars at NRC.. Now people have complete carbon fiber, touring car conversions, running their new 500$ spektrum radio and their tekin pros with boost and 9500+kv brushless motors..

Proof.. Doesn't matter what class u make, things will just evolve to the point where it just gets out Range of most.. When was the last time anyone seen my 18th On the track??
ridez
2x 1/12 CRC xti-
1/12 nitro hydroplanes
1/10 customworks direct drive sprint. 
1/10 kyosho optima mid se
1/10 losi 22-2 buggy
1/10 xray t2'16
1/10 bolink eliminator

Offline Tonia

• Forum Rookie
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:01:40 PM »
You're right Jarrod, the 18r's are fast and can be expensive. It still costs less than $250 though, comes rtr and can compete. Our points leader is running this car, pretty much bone-stock.  It doesn't matter how fast your RC is, you still need to be able to drive. For the success of racing, the shop had to sell hop-ups.  NRC subsidizes racing, if we didnt make it open racing wouldn't exist.

We've been fortunate to have IROCC as a mentor and are very excited that such a successful club is adopting a class we created. This is what happens when you smash two clubs together, they become IRONRC, strong as steel!

Matt

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
"IRONRC".  That is awesome.

Blake