Author Topic: Kamloops Race  (Read 18423 times)

Kamloops Race
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2005, 02:20:07 PM »
well pack the gear get the little women and hit the road!

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
    • http://www.astroglide.com/
Kamloops Race
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2005, 03:08:13 PM »
We've got room in the truck ;)
Stryker - "This isn't about you, Logan. Your country needs you."
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline cyrrus

• Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2005, 03:37:57 PM »
Quote from: "mrdoug"
well there is a 10 boat  on sunday so i would guess if we are  done and packed and ready to go at 5 we would make the 10 boat sunday nite

Hey guy's just to let you know just incase you miss your ferries.  there is a 1045 that runs up to Nanaimo.  It's a bit of a pain for the extra driving but you will still make it back to the island Sunday night.  Just my 0.02
ood grief I think I lost my....
. one turn at a time, but what do I have to do on the straight's again.

for a cool display option press alt+(f4)

Offline Tom

• IROCC Exec
  • Forum Veteran
    • http://abc123.dowco.com/~tom/rc
Kamloops Race
« Reply #63 on: September 15, 2005, 03:45:16 PM »
I've definately used that before coming back from a Vancouver race.

Aah, those were the days.  Road trips with Mike in the Tercel.

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #64 on: September 15, 2005, 05:10:08 PM »
Quote from: "cyrrus"
Quote from: "mrdoug"
well there is a 10 boat  on sunday so i would guess if we are  done and packed and ready to go at 5 we would make the 10 boat sunday nite

Hey guy's just to let you know just incase you miss your ferries.  there is a 1045 that runs up to Nanaimo.  It's a bit of a pain for the extra driving but you will still make it back to the island Sunday night.  Just my 0.02

That doesn't get me home from driving from Nanaimo to Vic, droping the gear off, droping the truck off and driving home till 2 AM or later.... as much of a night hawk that I am I'd rather not get back that late after a few long days in a row...
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline haddow

• ayatollah of rock and rolla
  • Forum Veteran
    • Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
Kamloops Race
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2005, 04:07:33 PM »
OK Kamploops was interesting, only about 20-25 guys showed up including 7 from vic and about 7 from van. That was OK because the talent was good and we still raced LOTS! The kamloops guys were also very nice and knew how to run a race. Everyone got along well.

I am pretty sure I TQ'd in the following calsses, 19Turn, 27Turn and Nitro. I also won all three classes, I had a good weekend.\

actually, I only raced nitro and finished last although I did make the A-main (only one main in nitro, stock and novice). Kurk had the highest finishing spot in nitro of all the IROCCers. It was a 45 minute main. I dont think my 600mAh receiver pack would even go that long, I didnt have to find out and broke at the 11 minute mark. Craig was fast enough to win but his reciever pack didnt make it and he lost control of the throttle servo. WHile he was running he had better lap times than the leaders and was en route to catch them no problem. Craig had problems in the first few laps and had to play catch up right off the bat. None the less he dropped out before the end as his AAA reciever pack just didnt have the electrons to go that long. Craig only had 3 run-away nitro cars this weekend ( I remember when I first started in nitro) and was having nitro electrical problems all weekend. Blake didnt get his car going until after the race started and then he had engine difficulties again and dropped out. Doug (Dog) was up and down the drivers stand stairs about 10 times during the main, he finished 6th.

In 19 Turn I forget what happened exactly, Keith Yue from Van was untouchable, he is as smooth as glass and had more horespower than anyone else. Sorry Blake I forget where you finished although blake did get a trophy (towel actually) . In Stock, Craig TQ'd in the 7th and last qualifier (yes we had 7 qualifiers since we had only 6 heats of cars in 4 classes including 4 guys in novice class). Craig was running second and third in the first half of the Stock A main (only one stock main) and then got by for the lead and never looked back. There were a couple of fast drivers (rick and Jason) from Kamloops that really gave Craig a run all weekend.

In novice Kurk was winning but got screwed up by a back marker and lost the race. You cant really get mad at the backmarkers as this was novice class and that is what it was there for. The kid that did take out Kurk from the lead (twice) was pretty fast and if he sticks with the hobby / sport he will be a force in the future.

The facility in Kamloops has alot going for it, a couple of drawbacks but overall a very nice place. The track layout was tight and narrow in nitro car standards but a reasonable size overall. There were more or less no dividers at all between lanes but that was OK as the level of driving was quite good. The corner dots were mmmassive. If you got more than a corner of a dot you were "leaving the park". Of course onkly people hitting the dots complained about them, although I think everyone in our club "left the park" in huge fassion. The outside walls were just PVC tubing so they didnt really keep the cars retained but it is usually a non-issue in kamloops as they dont have alot of newbie drivers and they dont get spectators (well 1 or 2 but not 100-300 like we do every week). The track surface looked very cool with all the lanes painted up. It makes it very easy to see the track in front of you. However the surface is sinking in a few spots, like right in the middle of the sweeper at the end of the straight-away which made a huge trench that would send a car airborn. There were at least 3 other spots like this on the track. It was an issue early but as we learned where not to drive it became less of an issue. Electric cars also had more difficulty with the bumps than nitro cars. Traction was pretty weak most of the weekend but was just OK by the main events and you could finaly see a groove after the mains..

Nitro tuning was a good lesson. The higher altitide definatley made a difference and power across the board seemed low. The temperature would also swing significantly when the clouds obstructed the sun. It was hot in the open sun, cool in the shade and downright cold at night and in the morning.

The away from track time was interesting as usual, Fantetti putting on a good performance!! It is always good to have a fantetti along for the ride, never boring. We also got pissed off at Boston Pizza and left to go elsewhere. Kamlooops BP you suck!

SO anyway, I would go back to this race if we had a good commitment from more IROCCers,

I will have a slide show to music of the race by Wednesday night, stay tuned. I will also post all of my pictures. Thank you to the Kamloops crew for hosting and to the van guys (and girl) for showing up. Thanx angie for announcing and to Kurk for getting a vehicle worthy of hauling everyones stuff up the mountainside.also thank-you to shaye for putting up with us and running pit support all weekend.

Jody
Dr. Speed Designs Custom Racing Driver Hero Cards
https://www.facebook.com/drspeeddesigns/

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2005, 04:49:41 PM »
Yep, a fun road trip for sure!  Thanks to the "Thrift Lodge" for putting up with our (Kurk's, Jody's, and Rob's) drunken antics.  Sorry to anyone that was staying in adjacent rooms....

Thanks to Jarrod and Rob for pitting for us gas guys all weekend long.  Although the gas main turned into a complete disaster for most of us it was still a lot of fun.

Racing was fun even with the low turnout.  The Kamloops club has an awesome attitude and everyone is extremely friendly and helpful there.  This was my third race in Kamloops and they've always impressed me with their level of organization and preparedness.  Kamloops is also the only place I've ever raced outdoor and never seen a drop of rain.

They had three "kids" in the races all with some very decent skill.  It'd be nice if we could find a couple more kids to give Tyler and Cody some company here at IROCC.

The Pony performed amazingly well.  It easily handled most of the Coca Cola's climbs in 4th gear at about 100km/h.  "Radiator Hill" required 3rd gear but that was about it.  I forgot to latch the hatchback after packing the car so the hatch opened up on us as we were climbing out of Kamloops.  Thanks to Jarrod we managed to pull it closed without having to stop and lost all our momentum.  Of course Dave Palmer from Vancouver had to pass us at that exact moment....  Oh well, we used about 1/3 the gas of anyone else who made the trip I'm sure.  Total gas bill was $75.

Blake

Offline dougmartin

• http://
Kamloops Race
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2005, 06:37:24 PM »
Thanks to the guys that came to the Fall Classic. Blake, Jody, Craig,Kurk,Doug,Jarrod,Rob. Hope I didn't miss anyone. Good to see you made it home safe and nothing flew out the "PONY" Blake. :P  Was great meeting you all and I hope to see you again soon. Hope you all had fun and will come back again.

Have you set a date for your Speed Weekend race yet?  We will be setting our dates for our off-road series soon and will try to keep that weekend of the Speed weekend open so a bunch of us can make it down.

Again thanks guys...it was a blast ot race with you and look forward to it again. :D
oug Martin
2004 WCORCS 2wd Mod and Truck Mod Champion

XRAY T2
TQ Cells
IB4200
Mamba Max 4600 & 7700
T-Bang 19t

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2005, 07:26:37 PM »
A big thanks to all the guys up in Kamloops.  Everything was well organized and we kept the momentum up geting five rounds of quailfying in the first day and another two the next as well as the mains and we still managed to have everything wrapped up by 4:00.  It may have been hectic and chaotic for you guys but over on our side it seemed to be well orgainized.  Great job!

The track looked awesome.  I think I prefer to have a different track each week but there is the advantage of knowing a single track inside out.  Its too bad about the dips here and there but you did learn to drive around them.  I haven't had the guts to look at my chasis yet.  The ruts did looks awfuly carbon chasis colored....  The dots need some severe crushing - they were more like ski jumps than dots.  But then again you are suppose to drive on the track not the dots....  Traction was different than the other tracks.  I found the electric was hooking up nicely but had trouble (well more than normal) getting traction with Nitro.  Regardless the tires seemed to wear well - should make it to the end of the season :)

Truth be known the only "antics" that went on was Blake playing the concerned father figure to Rob..... who by the way did manage to make it back to the hotel all by himself....  oh and think up some rediculous storys on the way ;)

Racing was a blast and we had literally hours of track time over the three days.  I changed my X-Ray every race and pretty much ended up right back where I started from when I got there.  The only change I ended up keeping was some softer springs than the carpet ones that were in there.  I'm finally starting to notice when I change something how it affects the car.
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #69 on: September 20, 2005, 01:38:44 AM »
Dog Ball made an appearance in Kamloops.

Blake

Offline Blake

• Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #70 on: September 20, 2005, 01:41:49 AM »
Hey Doug,

Thanks for having us!  We had a great time!

No, we have not set a date for the Speed Weekend 2006.  However, as we did this year, we'll try and schedule it around all the other races (both onroad and offroad) that will occur next summer.

Blake

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #71 on: September 20, 2005, 11:06:58 AM »
Quote from: "Blake"
Dog Ball made an appearance in Kamloops.

Blake

Dog Ball!  You have to come up next time Brian Ball.  That way we can tell them who is coming up.  Its only fair to warn them we are coming with both Balls....

IROCC - bringing the hardware home....
Logan - "I'm Canadian."

Kamloops Race
« Reply #72 on: September 20, 2005, 12:23:21 PM »
well if that happened  grinder............ill be the left ball brian can be the right ball..................and you can be the d.....k in the middle :twisted:

Offline Grinder

• Forum Veteran
Kamloops Race
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2005, 04:07:28 PM »
Sounds good to me.  The guy on the stand in the middle is #1....  get ready for second and third place....

(Can't just practice my driving - gotta practice the smack talk too)
Logan - "I'm Canadian."